Silbury's structural integrity

148 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
fitzcoraldo
fitzcoraldo
2709 posts

Well done EH and all concerned
Dec 29, 2007, 21:32
"However, EH were implacably opposed to grouting and I don't know if this sort of option was ever discussed with Skansia.
Ain't hindsight wonderful!"

Hi Jim
The answer to your question and reasons for not using the drill and fill method are set out in the 2005 Conservation Risk Assessment, freely available on the EH website ( http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/upload/pdf/Risk_assessment052005.pdf) along with a host of other documents. I'm not sure if they discussed it with Skanska but they did manage to employ the expertise of folk such as Emeritus Professor Richard J. Chandler of Imperial College, Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering and M. H. Worthington of the Dept of Earth Sciences at Oxford.

As for the poly bags. This fix is supposed to be a permanent fix therefore requiring stability and longevity of materials. Using a natural fibre would surely run the risk of biodegradation before the materials have had a chance to stabilise properly thus running the risk of further collapse. Surely the main aim of the project is to fix the hill permanently and if modern materials are the best for the job then so be it.

I guess I'm setting myself up here to be knocked down but I'm fed up of this constant nit-picking, heresay and rumour. I have tried to keep away from the debates because there seem to be a few here who are working on an agenda that involves constantly beating EH with a big stick for doing exactly what they have been asked to do. I guess I may be in a minority here but I have followed this project with great interest and actually think EH have released an unpresedented amount of freely available material to the public, they have also involved local people and national organisations with an interest in the hill. It's very easy to sit on the side lines and snipe at EH but please show me a project that has done more to keep the public informed.
I would like to congratulate all the folk involved on doing a great job, it looks like the goal of permanent fixing of the hill is in sight and it has been done safely and efficiently.
Well done EH.

cheers
fitz
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index