Silbury's structural integrity

148 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Silbury's structural integrity
Sep 19, 2007, 20:18
A bit of background info - part of my email to Rob Harding at English Heritage dated 17 July 2007 -

Dear Mr Harding

...I am writing to you to register, in the strongest possible terms, my objection to English Heritage's plan to insert a 'time capsule' in Silbury Hill... Are you aware that such an action contravenes one the basic rules of conservation, a rule which states that nothing should either be added or removed from a structure or object unless that addition or removal is absolutely necessary for the purpose of its conservation and preservation?

...If contravening the above were not bad enough what sort of message do you think English Heritage is sending to the public? That while it is necessary to correct the mistakes of the past with regard to tunnelling and the leaving of foreign objects within the structure, it is now acceptable for English Heritage to make the same mistake by leaving a time capsule within this unique and ancient monument? ...if there is no intention of ever re-tunnelling Silbury Hill to retrieve the capsule (and we hope there certainly is not) what on earth is the point of leaving it there?

...I believe the children of Avebury school are involved in preparing some of the objects to be inserted into the time capsule; while it is commendable that the children are in some way involved with the future of the monument this is not the way to teach them about conservation and respect for our heritage. As adults, the children of Avebury school may again one day visit Silbury Hill; what lesson do we want to leave for them there? The lesson that we are at liberty to change and deposit whatever we want, wherever we want, or the lesson that we try to leave things as they were originally intended? Isn't that what English Heritage should stand for?

Reply from Rob Harding -

Thank you for your comments which are noted. We obviously have a difference of opinion as to the value of our educational work and our efforts to engage local school children in thinking about their historic landscape. These efforts have certainly caught their imagination and they have enthusiastically participated in both the visit to site to learn about the archaeological investigations as well as their classroom based work e.g. around the time capsule.

Yours sincerely,

Rob Harding.

My email is just one among many to English Heritage voicing objections to the idea of a time capsule being placed within Silbury. I'm sorry if you find the subject boring and an ongoing attack on English Heritage but, for better or worse, questioning of this kind via the internet and a refusal to accept official spin is becoming one of only a few ways left to bring public servants to account. If conservators and other caring people don't kick up a fuss about things like a time capsule being placed in a Neolithic structure, or the desecration of the Long Man of Wilmington, the destruction of the Thornborough area, the Rotherwas Ribbon etc, then bad institutions will continue to do bad things. It's puzzling that English Heritage (an institution purportedly in place to protect our heritage) would even consider doing something which the world of conservation has known to be totally unethical for more than fifty years - who on earth is in charge at English Heritage and why on earth do ordinary people have to be ever vigilant in making sure that not another mistake is made by those who should be acting in our best interest. It's obvious (Update 18) that English Heritage now realize just how badly they got it wrong with their time capsule idea and have now gone into reverse gear - at least they have had the sense to change their plan though I see no mention, nor acknowledgment, of that change in their public announcements - that in itself is indicative of their lack of transparency.

When all is said and done however it's well to remember that the time capsule is only a small factor in the overall conservation and the respect that Silbury deserves - the structural integrity of the monument itself may be in danger and that is of primary concern. The questioning, of course, will continue.

Best.

LS
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index