Rocks?

92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Rocks?
Jul 24, 2006, 11:33
Thanks very much for continuing to respond. I rant so awfully about this stuff because I think it's important. If the group or the moderators feels I'm too far off base, or personally offfensive (which I am not trying to be, but the foam in my mouth makes it difficult to express myself clearly) please cut me off and delete these posts.

Nah, Bucky, in my humble opinion you're not off base at all. I enjoy a good debate and don't like to see them descend into forum brawls (which this hasn't :-) I can't speak for everyone here but I'd say most are pretty open minded and willing to discuss most things as long as they don't drift too far off topic (or are not rammed down our throats on a more-or-less daily basis).

There's a lot of stuff in your post I don't agree with but If I may just clarify one thing. You say -

I have a slightly disrespectful attitude toward the ancient stone arrangers (whether pushers, pullers, rowers, draggers or any combination of such) just the same way you have a slightly disrespectful attitude toward we poor benighted historyless Americans.

I'm a little puzzled by the first bit - why on earth would you have a slightly disrespectful attitude to ancient megalithic builders? The second bit is also a little puzzling as I have a lot of respect for Americans (present administration excepted that is ;-) I lived for many, many years a long way away from this country (perhaps that's why I now love it so much) and most of my English speaking friends at that time were Americans (and still are though sadly I don't get to see them much these days). I've spent many happy times in Boston, Washington and upstate New York (where an American friend has his own pottery) as well as a lot of time in Hawaii - where twenty years ago I almost ended up living. Ahh... that wasn't to be but what a truly magical place. I still have an unused bar of soap in the draw where I keep my sweaters that's perfumed with the Hawaiian wilder ginger flower. Every autumn, when I get my sweaters, out again a little bit of Hawaii drifts out with them... sorry, getting off topic :-)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index