Stonehenge and its Environs »
Rocks?

92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
BuckyE
468 posts

Re: Rocks?
Jul 16, 2006, 09:20
I think Nigel could vouch, at least in part, for Loie and I having more interest in your cultural heritage (after all, it's ours, too) than many of your contrymen. We've been to...well, here's a partial list I started to draw up for a little writing project (many of the sites are American)...

1991 Honeymoon, CA & AZ
around Flagstaff, CA:
Newspaper Rock, Petrified Forest AZ (Anasazi[?] petroglyphs)
Puerco Indian Ruin (Anasazi)
Wokiki, Wapatki (with Ampitheatre and Ball Court) Ruins (Anasazi)
Lomoki Ruins: Beautiful House (Anasazi)
Tusayan Ruin [near Grand Canyon] (Anasazi)
[Hopi Indian reservation]

1994 Hawaii
3 Petroglyph sites on Hawaii

1997 Farmington NM: Driving Yo
Aztec Ruins (Anasazi)
Chaco Canyon pueblos and petroglyphs (Anasazi)
Hovenweep Canyon houses (Anasazi)
Mesa Verde: Balcony House; Petroglyph Point (Anasazi)
El Morro National Park petroglyphs (Anasazi)
[Zuni Indian reservation]

1999 DtSA I Scotland
Corrimini Cairn, Clava Cairns, unexcavated cairn, Learable Hill stones
McLeod Stone, ? circle, Callanish I, II, III
Ring of Brogar, Scara Brae, Stones of Stenness, Barnhouse, Maes Howe, Unstan Tomb, Isbister
Temple Stones
East Auquorthies, stones near Castle Fraser, Sunhoney, Cullerlie, (Archeolink Park), Loanhead of Daviot, nameless ruined circle of Earlsfield Farm, Medmar Kirk
National Museum, Edinburg
Goatstones
[Harian's Wall; Roslynn Chapel]

2000 Tuscany
Etruscan:
Volterra Gates, museum: shadow of Night, funerary caskets

2002 DtSA II Languedoc
cairns, passage graves and menhirs around Peret; statue menhirs; Cave of Niaux [Peyrpreteuse, Rennes le Chateau]

2004-03 Paris [One week after Yo died]
National Museum of Archaeology

2004-07 DtSA Part III England, Brittany
Stonehenge private visit, Woodhenge, Durrington Walls, Cursus, barrows
Avebury [with the Stone Pagers]
Carnac and environs [full list will be about twenty sites]
Pink Granite Coast [full list will be about eight sites]

2005-07 Tahoe
Grimes Point petroglyphs

2005-09 DtSA Part IV [Amalfi Coast] Sardinia
[Pompeii, Nat. Mus Naples; Paestum] [full Sard. list will be about 15 sites]

Date?
Cancun: local ruins, Chichen Itza

Isn't that fun? And that's not to mention the historic sites we've seen here, either: Plymouth Plantation, Old Sturbridge Village, Colonial Willamsburg, Roanoke, Loisiana plantations, dozens of historic houses.... Oh, or the sheila-na-gig we found with Jimit. We can pop up to Hanover, Pennsylvania (with a quick stop at one of our two local Mason-Dixon markers) anytime for a taste of whichever CAMRA is on the hand pump. Or some of that Scottish heather ale we never did find in any of the pubs in Scotland. Tennants, eh? Ahem. In short, Americans do have a concern for the past, both at home and abroad.

It's not the concern that I don't get, it's the grumpy attitude coupled with the seeming inability to come to any practical consensus on what to do about the tossers and the apathetic. Not that I'd expect any truly effective plans to result: tossers and louts we'll have always with us. But rarely if ever do I see here any positive, enthusiastic mention of public education programs to support, organizations to join, plans to foster or just agreed upon ways to politely clean up the trash left at the sites. Nope, just whine, grumble and moan.

This is a fun place.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index