Rocks?

92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Rocks?
Jul 16, 2006, 17:20
...here's a partial list I started to draw up for a little writing project...

Your list is very interesting Bucky, and no doubt most subscribers to TMA and similar Forums could supply equally interesting lists. Places on my own list would include Pu Yi's last palace in Manchuria, parts of the Forbidden City in Beijing where few foreigners have ever been; the palaces and temples of Korea and Japan; the tombs and temples of Egypt; churches and cathedrals throughout Europe and, oh yes, the downtown bars of Boston, the no-go areas of Washington, the woods of upstate New York and even the sands of Waikiki Beach. So what?

The point is that your list and my list, and probably the even more fascinating lists that other folks here could compile, are places we have chosen to visit, they are not the ancient and sacred places that surround us on a daily basis; they are not places that we see every time we walk a mile or drive a few more on our way to work. They are not the places that our ancestors in these islands built and sanctified and that is the difference between your society and ours.

As Nigel eloquent said above, "There's nothing virgin (here), you can scoop up a handful of soil from anywhere and have a fair chance of seeing something of your ancestors. What an inspiring stage upon which to perform our fleeting dance." I have nothing more to add to that... oh well, just one more thing then...

"This shining water that moves in the streams and rivers is not just water but the blood of our ancestors. If we sell you our land you must remember that it is sacred, and you must teach your children that it is sacred and that each ghostly reflection in the clear water of the lakes tells the events and memories of my people. The water's murmur is the voice of my father's father."

Chief Seattle

PS And don't get me started on real ale - at least not until I've recovered from a recent encounter with Hooligan's Revenge and the [/b]Bishop's Farewell[/b] :-)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index