Stonehenge and its Environs »
Rocks?

92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Rocks?
Jul 17, 2006, 07:39
"Attributing some "ancestral" nature to those stones is mostly affectation, for all of us"

Affectation or not, its based upon solid fact IMHO. Given the millions of ancestors we each have and the millions of descendants that the Aveburyites had, its inconceivable that the two sets aren't intermingled, not just once but many many times. You and I ARE descended from the people who built Avebury.

That being so I don't think that feeling a connection is fanciful or an affectation. Using terms like "our ancestors" is merely shorthand for this reality. Its certainly not a claim to direct descent rather than a diffuse one. I don't think anyone here is daft enough not to be well aware of the reality.

Having said that, marks made by your ancesters that are evident in fields where you live are bound to touch you more deeply than ones in say Poland. They are more immediate, why shouldn't they? Taking a trip to see Ozymandias lying in the desert sands can't evince the same sense of connection as digging bits of him up in your own garden. Logic says the two cases are the same but feeling an ancestral pull isn't about logic its about emotion.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index