Stonehenge and its Environs »
Rocks?

92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Rocks?
Jul 16, 2006, 10:11
Bucky, yes of course I'm aware of your huge travels. Previously, I got the impression that that perspective had made you think we were concerned over minutiae and petty issues when there were far greater instances of damage elsewhere. If so, I accept you're right, but don't feel guilty about it - it may be a parochial attitude to obsess about your own back yard but that doesn't mean the back yard shouldn't be cared for. I get the impression that, despite the parlous state of our back yard there are more people caring for it than there are for instance in Ireland and France, so good for us.

And yes, i meant to say, it's your history too. As is Ireland's and Spain's and Portugal's I expect. Where have you found people trying to look after your history best?!

Not that we're doing much of a job. You say you don't get "the seeming inability to come to any practical consensus on what to do about the tossers and the apathetic" but then you supply the reason - "Not that I'd expect any truly effective plans to result: tossers and louts we'll have always with us". There you are, that's why. And you might have mentioned that the apathetic are in the vast majority and that government and industry make damn sure they stay like that.

BUT, faced with that utter impossibility people here DO do their bit.

1.) You say you rarely if ever see here any agreed ways "to politely clean up the trash left at the sites". Well, how come the sites aren't neck high in trash? Because people from here and elsewhere keep removing it! They just do it, no agreed plans needed.

2.) www.heritageaction.org does exactly what you call for. It was conceived, hatched and designed right here and many of us are members.

3.) Much the same goes for Timewatch - which is running probably the biggest campaign in defence of an ancient site there has ever been, anywhere.

4.) And what about World Heritage Alert, that deals with anything and everything including Native American stuff. That might reasonably be expected to have arisen anywhere in the world, but it happens to be being run by a prominent member from right here. And he moans like hell.

So yes, we all whine, grumble and moan. Maybe its a British thing. But it just ain't the case that we also do nowt. I think this is a case of cultural misunderstanding. You get the idea that whining, grumbling and moaning means we're not having fun, whereas in fact the precise opposite is true! ;)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index