Rocks?

92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
StoneLifter
StoneLifter
1594 posts

Re: Rocks?
Jul 08, 2006, 21:58
Imagine a Lake District landscape, as portrayed by Ken Russell at his prime, with a top of the range prefabricated British allotment shed situated at its centre. It's the kind of shed with a brass maker's label somewhere. A hole has been cut in the front and a chicken netting coop added on to let the pigeons, that are kept in the shed, get fresh air and sunshine. (They're fed once a week). Two streams that join to form a brook, nearby, are bridged by logs with spring traps in the middle, presumably to deter stoats.

I found it by accident on the way back from a long barrow and observation platform visit, accidentally. I'd only taken one camera and the film had gone. I recorded the find on a digital voice recorder - very terse - and I have to get back, with loaded cameras, but the keepers have me under constant observation. I've found two of these pigeon houses so far and have closed them down. The wildlife policeman is the first to hear about them but seems to tolerate it.

The M. O., I think, is to find a harrier, get a pigeon near it, clip its wings so it's easy prey, and baste its chest with one of two commonly available pesticides, and to set the bird off toward the hungry harrier. It's the seedy underbelly of the British countryside - I want to capture it in Kodachrome and not get shot. If I do get shot I hope it's caught by the voice recorder (and posthumourlessly broadcast on Resonance).

And then there's the moon !
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index