Rocks?

92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Rocks?
Jul 18, 2006, 19:02
Has Mr. Targett inherited some inherent stone pushing/Mother Goddess worshipping/bloody cannibal rite...

Blimey, I wasn't aware our ancestors were mother goddess-worshipers and cannibalistic - though they may have been slightly more of the former than of the latter (but not both as that seems a bit of a contradiction :-) What's your source for that reference?

Forgive me, but I can't also help wondering why you keep referring to the builders of megalithic structures in these islands as 'stone pushers'. The term is both inaccurate and, to those who have both a religious and historical respect for such structures, somewhat irritating - even slightly offensive. The stones may have been 'pushed' but they were more likely pulled or, as GordonP has demonstrated, rowed - sometimes over long distances and difficult terrain. I'm sure you'll agree that moving stones of such size and setting them in position was a considerable achievement even by modern engineering standards - an achievement worthy of research and respect rather than an inappropriate label with little or no meaning.

It's not in your genes, it's not in the soil, it's not in the megaliths.

Ahh, but it is. My advice to you (assuming you really are interested in the megalithic structures of these islands) is to come and live here for a year or two - preferably in some little village where our ancestors and their decedents have lived for a couple of thousand years; come and breathe a different air, not as a casual visitor but as a dweller; wake up to different skies and different birdsongs; walk every day along ancient trackways, reach out and really touch the soul of our land - you may be surprised at what you find :-)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index