Rocks?

92 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Re: Rocks?
Jul 14, 2006, 19:32
...these islands ARE magical, and the more so the longer you live. There's nothing virgin, you can scoop up a handful of soil from anywhere and have a fair chance of seeing something of your ancestors. What an inspiring stage upon which to perform our fleeting dance.

You're not doing too bad there yourself Mr S in terms of brilliant ranting :-)

These islands are indeed magical, and just how magical has been shown graphically in a couple of recent TV documentaries. For so long we've been told how wonderful were the classical civilizations in their 'majestic' southern European settings when all along the true wonder was right here on a doorstep. To sit in the little Anglo-Saxon church at Alton Barns (not Alton Priors by the way*) and then drive through some of the most ancient and beautiful landscape in the world is a truly uplifting experience and one I never tire of.

* In my haste to get to the Beer Festival I confused the church of Alton Priors with the church of Alton Barnes. Alton Barnes is the Anglo-Saxon church. Alton Priors church (a couple of minutes walk away) is Norman and is the one with sarsens under the floorboards, an ancient yew in the churchyard and a spring close by. There's an interesting paved pathway across the fields from one church to the other by the way.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index