The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Ritual Landscapes

133 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: Ritual Landscapes
Oct 11, 2005, 17:49
"As a matter of fact, I'm dead sure, but have no way to prove it, that ALL these stone monuments were specifically intended to mark the land as a humanly controlled posession: to claim, proclaim and enforce ownership in the face of recalcitrant Nature."

This is a somewhat lighthearted point, I'll just say.
I see, Bucky, that you are an American. Do you not think that your own cultural background could be subconsciously affecting your view here? After all, the modern American culture is based on an era rooted subduing nature as the pioneers battled their way across the continent. :)

ANyway, another related idea - I have to admit that I am almost utterly untravelled, but I am right in saying, I think, that the landscape here in Britain changes very rapidly as you cross the country. We have a huge range of landscapes in a very small area. I wonder if for this reason local landscapes would be of greater importance to people, in the minds of people (perhaps in the Neolithic, but perhaps now too) in a country like this one?

Also, you talk of subjugating the land - but why should it be that farmers are struggling against nature? They surely have to work with it, following the seasons, sowing and harvesting when the time is right, choosing the most promising land to work. Being 'aggressive' and nailing the earth with stones is surely counterproductive? Wouldn't it be better to creep round whatever supernatural beings were in charge of the weather and the soil, try and get on their good sides?
(anyway I'm not saying the Neolithic was a party and that all stone circles are to do with the land, Man, I do realise they were probably to do with trade and land ownership etc)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index