The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Ritual Landscapes

133 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
BrigantesNation
1733 posts

Re: Cursuses
Aug 01, 2003, 18:07
I've started creating a document, but this is getting seriously iffy in places. What would you say if I said Britain (including Ireland) was divided into three major zones, these where divided into seven roghly triangular zones, each had a central major site? That's the way this theories cooking at the moment. I have two of the possible centres - Glastonbury and Thornborough - draw a line between them and you will see that the priddy circles are in direct alignment and are a four henge alignment in close proximity. I love testing out oddball theories - this one is Julians own, although I'm not sure he's taken it as far as I have.

On pages 42 and 43 of Julians book he shows a map of Britain. A line is drawn between Landsend and John O Groats. Then a compass point has been put into the middle of the Isle of Man and circle is drawn with Landsend and John O Groats touching its perimeter. Julian then go's on to lightheartedly look at the Legs of Man and the Brigit's Cross and kind of babbles on about Man being the centre and the legs echoing this. I have taken the triangle of the Legs of Man and put it in the Circle - with it's point at John O Groats, Then I've been playing with the Geometry. The first site I "discovered" was Thornborough, of course, but then with a bit more playing I found Glastonbury, which I thought was promising, but the Priddy circles kind of sealed the link. Now I'll think about it a bit more! Trouble is I don't know the Neolithic period at all, so I'm not sure if some of the areas I'm looking at are important.

Well there you have it, my first mystic theory - or at least the start of it :o)

Normally I would not bother with such thinking, it's the very reason I've avoided the Neolithic period so far - too much wooly thinking and no proof. But Thornborough needs me, she's in trouble.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index