The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Ritual Landscapes

133 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: Henges designed to exclude?
Aug 01, 2003, 10:29
I don't pretend to be any expert on henges tombo, but I'm sure some of them were built in a way to exclude some people from some areas some of the time. Some henges (you can look at my notes about Marden and durrington walls etc) - I guess those are the real biggies though - have very very narrow entrances which would have restricted entry. Also the big ones have smaller henges inside them sometimes. I suppose it could be a bit like a church where there's the screens and everything dividing the most sacred area off, and only some people (or everyone, but only sometimes) are allowed to go into those areas.

Your bog standard small henges that were just earth banks though, I guess that doesn't apply. But the big ones with posts round them - sometimes they had little corridors leading to the entrance at an angle, so you couldn't have seen in from the outside.

none of this means anyone would have to have been permanently excluded, I suppose it just would have divided the space inside off from the outside world. Besides these superhenges were so bloody enormous you'd have had to have got the help of everyone to build them - they might not have been so keen to help if it was an exclusive club they wouldn't be allowed into.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index