Ritual Landscapes

133 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tuesday
tuesday
280 posts

Re: Ritual Landscapes
Oct 09, 2005, 11:36
"Is our modern appreciation of what's a pretty view the same as the Neolithic one? Another thread maybe, but I'd reckon it's a big YES (why wouldn't it be, it's in our nature not our nurture isn't it?)"

Most definately not Nigel. Beauty - or the appreciation of significance - is almost certainly culturally conditioned. That's why people have been able to destroy many things we would have found beautiful.

I think 'view' is a much less convincing factor than (obviously) a strong alignment - or jut plain 'proximity'. I can easily imagine places 'feeling' significant - by long association or for mysterious 'hallucinatory' reasons - or because prominent features being used for direction and gathering take on a palimpsest of meaning.

But views depend on weather (don't we know it), good eyesight (unlikely then) and - often - unfamiliarity. Haven't you noticed that often the natives of very beautiful places don't recognise the view? We can't tell whether 'view' was perceived the way it is now before the development of representational images. (which flatten)

But I think FW is right on this - there will never be one criteria which fits all sites. I think it's reasonable to assume that there must have been some significance to sanctify and focus the effort involved but whether we will ever be able to divine what that was is doubtful.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index