Sacred Landscapes

208 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Re: Must it be organized?
Jul 31, 2003, 19:27
"I accept - on the grounds of probability, that *some* of these sites that I am concerned about *probably* were `sacred` to their builders, but I don`t know, they may not."

Doesn't human nature tend towards valuing that which it builds? I know that if I put X amount of days/years into a piece of work, art/project, then it becomes like a piece of me, and it's destruction would be sacrilege, to myself? Unless I was an artist who played with existential concepts and was to invest huge amounts of heart and soul and sweat into something, only to destroy it as a piece of performance art? The breaking down of the sacred being the 'art'? I wibble, I dribble, fiddla faddle.

If the monuments of which you speak were (and they most probably were) in existence for a body/group of people, then one would imagine their exclusivity alone would make them important/sacred? Again, it's all down to the definition of 'sacred'. We are forced to conclude by our 21st century mindset, even the words we speak are different.

We have no proof that Avebury was a 'Religious' venture. But even 'religion' means something different today than it did in Megalithic times?

Oh what a web!

*be*
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index