Sacred Landscapes

208 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
BrigantesNation
1733 posts

Well no..
Jul 31, 2003, 08:03
"Ritual landscapes were built"

Where are they being built? You describe a pilgrimage, which is fair enough but nothing I suggest that we could look to and say "this was deliberately constructed as a ritual landscape", we could say "this has been interpreted as a ritual landscape" but even then, other than the notion of "god's country" I doubt many people saw their pilgrimage as being accross a sacred landscape, more a set of points of potential sacred significance distributed accross a landscape.

What I'm getting at here is that we don't actually know why the ancient monuments were built, some are linked with causeways that we may choose to interpret as having ritual significance, and that a particular density of such monuments and causeways accross a landscape could be interpreted as being a sacred landscape. Where are the more recent examples of us building sacred landscapes? Or is it really just a bit of a fantasy?

I guess if we look for a modern comparison we could think of London's ritual landscape - Buck's palace, the royal mile and Westminster Cathedral.

I'm just thinknig out loud here, this debate has thrown quite a few new angles at me.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index