208 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
AtomicMutton
AtomicMutton
104 posts

Don't stop ...
Jul 31, 2003, 08:03
A Lych gate as a pair of stones ?

But why did we pair stones so avidly back then ? Left and right ? We've found it so we'll show it ?

The proddies were probably better at recording the ancient placenames (formally) though. The closest thing to a church back four thousand years was a hill - the more glacial the better.

I don't know what I'm going to find when I get back to Camp1 this afternoon. As I was leaving on Monday the keepers went swirling in with their new Landrovers, riding shotgun to the little digger. This JCB will be acting as a toreodor (sorry) before the big buggers arrive. I've got some little lumps of Gur for the fuel systems. In the right circumstances that will construe as using reasonable force. Two ballaun stones, a little re-erected standing stone and the capstone off something too. It's futile, of course.

English Nature seemed to give *backdated* permission for a road a mile long in their SSSI. Backdated nine months - the moor's only been sold six. I've certainly never seen that happen before (Don't Call Me Mark Thatcher). TomBo, our budding shaman, maybe fifteen miles away as the crow flies, might have written to the local MP, even. I can see him telling me the stonecrusher is really a big baler or a new type of combine! The EN field officer told me that as the burial mound had already had some stone taken then that made it more ok to take the rest of it. A local placename - the Three Pikes - needs revision. One Pike |

He's gone

(to 520m.)
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index