Sacred Landscapes

208 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Society so different?
Jul 30, 2003, 22:46
But we have tribes and cultures (Irian Jaya? etc) that are still little-changes since before our stoneage, I believe the clues are all there? if we haven't Westernised everyone before we discover the 'truth' about ancient minds? But Northern ancient minds may have been SO different. My mind is different than my Latin neighbour, in many ways, but we still 'meet' on so many levels I'm sure clues to ancient land use exist in our collective and individual unconscious minds? A table is a table because of the idea behind it, not because of our perception of it (speaking ultra-literally). So our modern perceptions of Avebury could not feasibly, I agree, be appropriated with much approaching the historical truth.
I'm suspicious. Two graffitti artists living in the same street may 'tag' their respective space for very different psychological reasons. Archeologists finding these tags in many years may not distinguish this, they may not even know that the fact it is 'illegal' could be a motivating force, etc etc
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index