Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: pt2
Jan 28, 2003, 18:57
part the second
SAVAGE REPUBLIC Jamahiriya
‘88 Last planned studio LP by LA based ethnic-drone rockers. Very Psych and also heavily krautrock sounding. I know the influence is in there.
I think the reissues are still available from here
http://www.mobilization.com/catalog.html
I foolishly lost the rest of the cds when my bag disappeared or they’d be being eulogised here too. This was both my fav and the only one in at Rough Trade when I was there over Xmas

YARDBIRDS Cumular Limit
The Page era stuff mostly live including the Yardbirds take on Jake Holmes Dazed and confused, which has different lyrics to the Zep rewrite.
I grabbed this from Stand Out after fearing I’d missed it when I forgot to buy it a year earlier. I thought I’d heard that Mr Page withdrew it from sales almost as soon as it was released. Pretty tasty though.

SAUTER, DIETRICH, MOORE Barefoot In The Head
Crunching freeblowfest from Borbetomagus’ horns and Sonic Thurston.
An entire disc of instrumental L.A. Blues from NYC?
Comes with liner notes by Thomas Pynchon and leaves you with no ears.
Luvlee. 2 Freedmen and A Slave?

KRAFTWERK Man Machine
’78 LP in English version. Long after their krautrock dissonance this is percussively rhythm centred melody. Contains an Albini-free The Model and Neon Lights which the Blue Nile tried to rewrite on Hats.

PESHAY Fusion
What do you call this stuff? From this example pretty good. Got slipped this by somebody who does the distribution.

WARHORSE As Heaven Turns To Ash
Ultra heavy doom/stoner rock with weird jazz like undercurrents and folky ambient short tracks breaking up the sludge. Some of this reminds heavily of things like Guru Guru only the rhythm section keep reminding you that it’s metal.
Anyway one of my most frequently played discs of last year.

CHARLES WRIGHT AND THE WATTS 103RD STREET RHYTHM BAND Express Yourself: the Best of
LA late 60s/ early 70-s funk crew. Been meaning to get this since I saw him interviewed in the Lee Perry covered Grand Royale several years back. Very funky though I was heavily surprised by the Stax like deep Soul stuff. I wish this had the recording dates down cos I like knowing what years things like this are from.

GENTLE GIANT Octopus
Trying to work out what it is about this that I love. Seems like a mix of folk and jazz with Beatlesy touches that would pass as pretty great pop if played straight. What the band did here though was to break up melody lines between as many instruments as possible and add filigree to points of near Baroquery. Heavy influence from medieval folk too.

GOLDENROD
Famous session musicians for the likes of the Fifth Dimension play heavy stoner instrumentals. Here in both mono and stereo takes with very different playing times.

FRACTION Moonblood
Hippy Heavy Jesus rock with Morrison as aged tramp vocals. And some majorly tasty guitar. Just been reissued from masters with 3 extra tracks. Was gonna ask why this sounds so bad but I guess its just a Flashback Boot

SWANS Feel Good Now
The Children of God Swans put a band together and have everybody play rhythm. And no t’aint as funky frenetic as the JBs. Dashed tasty though. Martial rhythms and guitar like a gutpunch.
Gira at the time decried the idea of improvisation . Could have fooled me. How do you get from 6 minute songs to 20 minute versions without it?

MISSION OF BURMA (Rykodisc compi)
The US answer to WIRE etc? I hear echoes of the same influences as Joy Division picked up on. This is the currently out of print cd with the first e.p. and VS lp on.
I’ve read people wondering why Roger Miller got to write so many tracks since his writing style seemed less coherent than Prescott’s. The idea seems to be that he should have stuck to the out of left field guitar stuff and added to songs by a tunesmith insteasd of being too Avant-garde(at least that’s how I remember it).
Me I Like this. Especially the elegiac stuff like Einstein’s Day was it Chrome or Destroy All Monsters that Miller was a short term member of? Must get hold of a copy of that Sproton Layer lp

Stevo
Np Popul Vuh Hosianna Mantra Ah!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index