Soundtrack To Our Lives W/E 26/1/03

60 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: Soundtrack To Our Lives W/E 26/1/03
Jan 26, 2003, 16:17
It's a while since i've posted to this thread, and even though i'm probably not listening to my music properly, i figured i'd chime in with what's being emerging from my speakers this week...

Morning Glory, the 2CD Tim Buckley anthology has coloured most evenings this week. Haunting and heart-breaking and epic and personal and inspiring and painful all at once. The last half of CD1 and first half of CD2 are the highlights; but it's a great collection.

Parade / Around The World in a Day - Prince
Two classic 80s albums. Funky, psychedelic, sexy and rock! For me, the guy peaked with Sign 'O' The Times, but these two albums are essential waypoints on the road that leads there.

The Head On The Door - The Cure
I dusted off this album earlier in the week, and it's stood the test of time rather well. Lovely poppy bits interspersed with the kind of plaintive introspection we've come to love Bob Smith for.

Remain In Light - Talking Heads
It's mad when you think about it. The first album i ever bought probably gets more regular play than any other in my collection. Remain In Light has become like an old friend to me - and just like the best friends, it's always capable of revealing new depths and surprising me. "Listening Wind" - a song for our times, folks.

G-Sides & Remixes - Gorillaz
Having never been a big fan of Blur (though '13' wasn't a bad album by any means), i was surprised by how much i dig Gorillaz. I mean, it's just a bunch of light, throwaway dub-influenced groove tunes. But sometimes that's what you want - and there's enough interesting noises and clever instrumentation to take this a notch above the rest of the genre.

Plastic Ono Band - John Lennon
One of those very few albums that should - legally, morally and in accordance with all that is holy - be in the collection of *every single person*. I may consider running for political office specifically to pass repressive legislation making this the case.

A whole bunch of stuff by - Björk
Listened to Vespertine, Homogenic and Debut this week as well as a couple of EPs (i'd forgotten how good "Army of Me" is - what an amazing song!) This coming week will be probably devoted almost entirely to "Family Tree". I've just got my hands on it. Yay!

Also played this week at least once were Yo La Tengo (I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One), The Boomtown Rats (Tonic For The Troops), David Bowie (Low, Aladdin Sane, Young Americans), The Smiths (Strangeways, Here We Come), Sinead O'Connor (Sean-Nos Nua), Christy Moore (Live At The Point), Spiritualized (Let It Come Down)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index