Unsung Forum »
Soundtrack To Our Lives W/E 26/1/03

60 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Son Of Alice
41 posts

Part 2
Jan 27, 2003, 01:50
Thanks, PV. Glad to know someone else here likes the Iggy mix, and you make a good point about Kill City. I think I was overcritical because the second time I put it on it didn't seem as impressive as the first, but that probably had little to do with the album itself, and on both listens, Iggy's vocals sounded faultless. Btw, I forgot that Kill City was actually recorded between Raw Power and The Idiot (slaps own forehead.)

Here's the rest of the best from this past week:

Mott The Hoople - Greatest Hits: I couldn't find my copy of the Mott album, which I actually consider to be as overrated as the Hoople album is unsung, but all the songs I like from it are right here anyway. "Honaloochie Boogie, yeah..."

Ian Hunter - Ian Hunter: After listening to Transformer, I had a craving for more Mick Ronson riffs. Gawd, I think this year marks a full decade since Mick's passing (sniff.) The guitar break on Once Bitten, Twice Shy (durable in spite on the shit late 80s poodle rock remake which even I find indefensible) could melt even the most jaded countenance. Most of the rest seems rather hit-and-miss to me, but the album ends with the outstanding I Get So Excited, my personal favorite of any recording that either Hunter or Ronson were involved with.

Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady: On my CD shopping expedition late in the week, I didn't come home with any Supergrass, as their only album at the store was the self-titled third, which I didn't remember anyone recommending to me, so I passed. This seemed the best of the available options, as I'd only been familiar previously with Ever Fallen In Love and What Do I Get (or, as my friend Mike - who was in his early teens when these songs came out - quipped, "Yeah, you only knew the hits.") I wasn't dissapointed in the least - Green Day and their endless stream of clones have never, and WILL NEVER, come close to equalling this. My favorite A-side: I Don't Mind. My favorite B-side (surprise:) Lipstick.

xxoo
SOA
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index