Soundtrack To Our Lives W/E 26/1/03

Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

Soundtrack To Our Lives W/E 26/1/03
Jan 26, 2003, 13:03
Welcome to a special musical caching edition of soundtrax where Joolio leaves strange musical artefacts around the house within spitting distance of some form of audio player in the hope that he will find it later on and play it.

Good afternoon hope that you have all had a good week and are enjoying a good weekend.

The play list for the last week has featured some old faves some of which have enjoyed a few spins whilst others have been let off the leash briefly but enjoyed just as much. There has been some new, well new to me and not newer than 1974 8-), which is in the first stages of exploration. And there have been a few albums dipped into for a few tracks and replaced for what ever reason time constraints, the mood wasn’t right etc they are all here, as best that I can remember them anyway.

So here goes: -

The Jethro Tull mood continues this week actually jumped forward this week from the 1970’s to a couple of the 80’s “comeback albums” - Crest For a Knave and Broadsword and the Beast. Both on LP so neglected for a while. I have always liked these records but I had forgotten just how AOR Tull had become by the 80’s. Even Broadsword, which I had always as fairly progressive sounding, descends into 80’s AOR ism too often. It’s the better of the two without doubt, but 80’s production and 80’s synths – yuk its horrible.

Porcupine Tree – going to see these soon so I have started to dig out some of there discs but most of these will feature in next weeks listings. So for now I can tell you that Recordings enjoyed some airtime this last week. The nice thing about the Tree is that every few years they have a habit of issuing outtakes collections and this is one of them. And do you know what the quality is that good this could have been a standalone album in its own right rather than a tying up loose ends release. Two songs Disappear and Buying New Soul match anything on the “regular” albums proper.

Polyphonic Spree – courtesy of Sparksie. Big Big choral symphonic pop a real grower I am informed that they are playing in the smoke soon. I will be going, I don’t think that I have a choice, resistance is useless.

Hmm what is this !! I am part way though Soundtrax and I haven’t mentioned anything pre 1982 I must be ill!!!
You knew that it was too good to last …. So here goes a couple of new things (to me anyway) courtesy of Tight Purple Shirt. One is Volunteers by Jefferson Airplane – I just love this, it has been repeatedly played throughout the week. Great version of Wooden Ships too 8-)
Also from TPS - Basket of Light by Pentangle – this is a truly stunning album I can’t believe that I haven’t heard these before. I have always been curious but whoa fantastic yet a new back catalogue to explore.

Been doing some recording my self this week so the following were initially played back as check discs/tapes but kind stuck as my walk to work music.

Led Zeppelin three – got to be my favourite Zep album its just fantastic …. There is not a bad track here it has everything.
Quatermass- still sticking around for repeated playback.
Hard Stuff- an album called Bulletproof – these feature the bassist for Quatermass and the drummer and guitarist from Atomic Rooster. It isn’t as good as Quatermass – but it has some interesting moments.
I will post these to you this week AHAB – honest.

Led Zeppelin 1 an old fave – powerful what else can I say………………
Sly and The Family Stone – There Is A Riot Going On – things starting to get more introspective when they did this but its their creative high watermark a gritty, powerful slab of funk.

What did I dip into briefly this week – I think only one in the end David Crosby’s Its All Coming Back to Me Now – live album from 1994. The Cros is in fine form aided and abetted by a cast of LA musical accolytes. Features some great versions of Long Time Gone and Wooden Ships (done in the style of Jefferson Airplane).

Ok that is all for me over to you lot.

Joolio
(Still Raining, Still Dreaming)

Now playing Radioactive Toy – by The Porcupine Tree – from Coma Divine
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Re: Soundtrack To Our Lives W/E 26/1/03
Jan 26, 2003, 13:26
Please Pull Apart - Burning Love Jumpsuit. Sampletastic grooves from Dublin. Worth the price alone for the opening track 'Cheerleader'

Machine Gun In The Clowns Hand - Jello Biafra. Spoken word album number 786 or something from the former Kennedy. Somehow not as funny as he used to be, but then maybe there's just a lot less to laugh about. Still very sharp.

Le Red Soul Comunnitte - Tokyo Sex Destruction. Spanish/French garage sould type noise with some radical posturing thrown in on top. Stomping with lots of handclaps.

Hallowed Ground - Violent Femmes. I've been trying to explain (in an unsung review) why I think this is the greatest album ever made. Needless to say I can't. Byt, just got myself a CD version (yay!) and it still sounds as vital as it did 20 years ago.

The Bushes Scream While My Daddy Prunes - The Very Things. Helpless nostalgia lead me to buy this while in London this week.

Essential Fucked Up Blues - Immortal Lee Cunty Killers. Caught them live and was inspired to dig out the last album.

Various Penguine Cafe Orchestra albums. Just took a mad turn the other night. Fab stuff.

My iPod on random song shuffle. Will switch it on to see what the first five tracks it throws at me are:
Laughing Boy - JC (seriously, spooky synergy type happening)
(I Don't Wanna Be No) Catholic Boy - Dead Boys
Something I Said - Ray Condo
Love Affair With Everyday Living - The Woodentops
The Ballad of Charles Whitman - Kinky Friedman.
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2611 posts

Jan 26, 2003, 14:11
This week's raves:

Coldplay 'A Rush Of Blood To The Head' - this has really got under my skin now. I can't get over the quality of the songwriting, despite the obviously derivative sound of the band. And what an awesome production, a hi-fi dream;

Radiohead 'OK Computer' - after wallowing in the imitators above, I had to check out the originals. Absolutely awe-inspiring stuff, disturbing, inventive, and dynamic. Jeez, I'd kill to have written songs of the density and quality of 'Exit Music', 'Karma Police' and 'Paranoid Android';

Quatermass 'Quatermass' - why has it taken me 33 years to hear this progressive gem? If it hadn't been for Joolio it would've taken even longer. It's a stormer. Purple and Heep fans will dig bigtime;

Elvis Presley 'The King Of Rock & Roll - The Complete 50's Masters' - well, this is text book stuff innit. Just about perfect, but hardly unsung, so I'll move swiftly on to:

Deep Purple 'The Battle Rages On'. Can't get into this one. A sad end to Mark II Purple I fear. They actually benefitted from Blackmore jumping ship the second time methinks;

Pete Brown & Piblokto! 'Thousands On A Raft' - I waxed lyrical about this lost British hero last week. He deserves an article to himself. Suffice to say this is an album way ahead of its time with wonderfuly erratic yet heartfelt guitar wizardry by Jim Mullen. Whatever became of him;

Clouds 'Scrapbook' - owners of the first ace Island sampler 'You Can All Join' will have an alternate version of one of the best songs from this forgotten album. It's patchy with some out-and-out MOR in places but when it's good it's terrific. A band that really deserved more;

Caravan 'Caravan' - my, how I've underrated this album in the past. Last year's new remastering has really brought this album out of its shell (it always sounded thin and weedy on vinyl) and revealed this to be a classic debut, full of all the great songwriting and English glory of this appalinglly underrated band. I'd play 'Where But For Caravan Would I' to anyone to illustrate what they were missing - nine minutes of perfect, psych-tinged melodic glory with just the requisite amount of home-counties weirdness. Marvellous.

And I played some Beethoven too. But you don't want to know about that here.

Good vibes, dudes

DW
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jan 26, 2003, 15:23
Why not wanna hear about Ludvig Van here? Top tunes are top tunes are they not? Classical can still shake the ass-ical. Indulge yourself!
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Jan 26, 2003, 15:33
The Human League - The Golden Hour of the future
The Human League - Travelogue
Magazine - Second hand daylight
Magazine - The Correct use of soap
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
Gang of Four - Entertainment
Fad Gadget - Best of
The Associates - Sulk
John Foxx - Metamatic
Lemon Jelly - Lost Horizons
Organisation - Tone Float
Pole - Pole 2
Beebon
1375 posts

Jan 26, 2003, 15:45
Good Day!

PiL - Metal Box, Flowers Of Romance: Metal Box downloaded from Soulseek last weekend... Already becoming a favorite of mine, i love the whole sound, especially Jah Wobble's Dubby bass lines! mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

The Fall - 2G+2, Palace Of Swords Reveresed, Bend Sinister, This Nation's Saving Grace: Oooh the fall, there's a new one ;)

Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures

VU - White Light/White Heat

St Germain - Tourist: Jazzyness with slight dance/house electronicyness. I found this quite dull and unengaging.

Syd Barrett - Barrett

Talking Heads - '77, More Songs About Buildings and Food

Plus a couple of things i got recently, yet not given a proper listen yet: The Godz - Contact High with the Godz and Electric Wizard - Electric Wizard and Come My Fanatics.
a23
a23
1004 posts

Jan 26, 2003, 15:46
This week's things I haven't been listening to properly...

Silver Apples - S/T - interesting album from the late 60's, had headr one or two trax before, but it really was pretty ahead of its time.

Kinks - Village Green Preservation Society - nice tuneful ditties, a pleasant way to waken up

Zombies - Odessey + oracle - another good album with numerous bonus trax on it - from the wistful to the downright catchy

Tomorrow - S/T - ahhh - knocks spots off Nazareth's cover of white bicycle

Human League - Dare - raked it out of the vinyl shelves. Some good moments.

Human League - In a golden moment - not sure of this - some worthwhile trax but not as good as i was hoping 4

Sunburned Hand of the man - Wild Animal - groovee

Porcupine tree - various albums inc Stars Die, Sky Moves Sideways, Voyage 34, Stupid Dream and On the Sunday of Life - some absolutely great trax in there - have to say I prefer the earlier sounding stuff to the newest album. Like Joolio I'm looking forward to seeing em again in March

Tori Amos - Scarlet's walk
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Jan 26, 2003, 15:57
Oh dear....cat been out of the bag again. Where am I supposed to be this week? It's all getting odd! Tsk
Anyhoo...

Pink Faries - Kings Of Oblivion. This doth rock and has one of the best 'wish I was a girl 'songs ever on it

Guitars On Mushroom Vol II. - Various wreckheads.
Totally serendipitous (£4.99 for 2 cds! yay me!!) storming german (I think) compilation of psytrance with loads of guitary stuff all over it. Really cool and inventive in bits. Top drawer ear candy. I 'spose there's a vol. 1 out there somewhere.

Subject 13 - The Black Steele Project. Lush jazzy drum n bass pleasure for feet and ears

Queens of The Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf. Top riffage and rawk n roll. Bring on the beast within!

Bjork - Homogenic. Lovely one of a kind music from adventurous pop pixie.

Aardvark - Find The Cow. Asymmetrical electronica oddness. Music to invent odd angles by.

Lenny White Presents The Adventures of Astral Pirates. - The best jazz funk rock concept odyssey by a renowned Jazz drummer and friends about space pirates, mandarin warlords and an evil space baddie called Fornax brought to heel by Universal Love you'll ever hear.

King Crimson - Thrak. Disjointed metal/prog/pop and Frippsome wonder. Finally aquired through the magic of 2nd hand. Like it muchly, better than expected in fact. KC deffo one of my best latecoming obessions ever. New album soon too!

Amused By Genitals - Our Rock May Cause Slight Discolouration In Your Stools.

Dancing sexy plexyly to techno n' minimal syncopated Rn' B with drunk laydeez wot thought I was nice and stuff hee hee - Me, last night.

King Tubby - Crucial Dub. Don't fear the reefer

Herbie Hancock - Forward thinking Jazz dude in early hip hop electro pioneering album.

Herbie Hancock - Dis Is Da Drum. Underrated hip hop n beats 90's album by keyboard uber whizz

Mother Earth - The People Tree. Top jazz funk rock mellow spliffy vibes stuff

Burning shed sample vol II. - Courtesy of the dude Moey. Electic inventive ambience and atmospherics and songs. Love the full on deconstructed drum n bass tins falling down stairs one on it.

Spring Heel Jack - Amassed. Out there jazz mess.....nice

Think I listened to these properly...who knows? Have a nice week earthfolk.
Son Of Alice
41 posts

Jan 26, 2003, 16:00
Strange week for me: a lot less caffiene, and zero metal. Here's what resulted:

Julian Cope - Peggy Suicide: I don't think the epic ambitions of this one quite come off, which is a shame, as it has some of Cope's best songs ever, especially on the first half (if my life were a TV show, then the theme song would be Hanging Up And Hung Up On The Line.) Played it a second time later in the week, felt the same.

Iggy Pop and James Williamson - Kill City: Patchy but not entirely unrewarding effort recorded right between Raw Power and Lust For Life, but unreleased until the late 70s. At its best, the two Jameses take many of the cliche riffs of the time and unshackle them to run wild like bulls in a china shop. The title track has become a personal favorite of late, which I plan to cover (it's about LA, but could just as easily be Miami or Ft Lauderdale.)

Lou Reed - Transformer: Until now, I'd dismissed Reed as dull and worthy, then took out a documentary late last week to fulfill my curiosity. From the bits of music, I could tell I would like this one, and I did. I have a much higher opinion of Bowie's behind-the-scenes work than his own recordings, and it's clear that, as with Iggy and Mott, the lines between pointing the artist in the right direction and using him as a blank slate for the producer's own vision get blurred. The weedy sound is less bothersome to me than it is on the Iggy and Mott albums of the same time; of course, having the late, great Mick Ronson as second guitarist and co-producer doesn't hurt at all. Oh, and before I forget, the docu also made me curious about the Velvet Underground, but then I discovered some backward-thinking motherfucker stole the Velvets box set from the library. Grrrr.

Propaganda - A Secret Wish: Vintage synth-pop at its icy, ornate best.

Top Gun soundtrack and Flashdance soundtrack: Caffeine Queen took control at this point. But even while coming to terms with the new technology, Giorgio Moroder could do no wrong for me. Still wish he'd come back from exile. Also need to mention Harold Faltermeyer, who for a while in my formative years, was a bigger name to me than any rock star, thanks to his ubiquity in movie soundtracks at the time.

Iggy And The Stooges - Raw Power: This is the Iggy mix that met with such hostility. My view is that the Bowie mix, whatever its arguable merits, has contributed too many cliches in recent years. I don't see anything wrong with Iggy adding some much-needed bottom, especially with excess treble now running riot in the world of radio-friendly pap-rock.

Julian Cope - Jehovakill: Depending on my frame of mind, I find this either astonishing or bewildering. This time it was the latter, but who knows what the future holds?

The Clash - The Singles: I like this better than most of their albums. Skip over the dodgier ones, and there's a real sense of evolution here. Even the arena-ready, TV-ad fodder sounds just great in this context. Weird coincidence: that same day, MTV2 re-ran a special of Joe Strummer presenting videos by his favorite bands from around the world.

Billy Idol mix tape: Well, I finally put together my favorite album tracks from his first two albums, and it sounds awesome. If anyone else's name had been on songs like Nobody's Business, Hole In The Wall, or Blue Highway, they'd have gotten proper respect.

The computer's told me twice the list is too long, so I'll do a part 2 later.
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: and also...
Jan 26, 2003, 16:01
gah...forgot;

Jaz Coleman & Anne Dudley - Songs from the Victorious City. Dug this out for the 1st time in ages.
Really enjoyed hearing it. Killing Joke bloke and Art Of Noise lady mix trad arabic music with dancey vibes to pleasing effect. Ahead of it's time in a way.
Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index