60 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2609 posts

Re: Soundtrack To Our Lives W/E 26/1/03
Jan 26, 2003, 14:11
This week's raves:

Coldplay 'A Rush Of Blood To The Head' - this has really got under my skin now. I can't get over the quality of the songwriting, despite the obviously derivative sound of the band. And what an awesome production, a hi-fi dream;

Radiohead 'OK Computer' - after wallowing in the imitators above, I had to check out the originals. Absolutely awe-inspiring stuff, disturbing, inventive, and dynamic. Jeez, I'd kill to have written songs of the density and quality of 'Exit Music', 'Karma Police' and 'Paranoid Android';

Quatermass 'Quatermass' - why has it taken me 33 years to hear this progressive gem? If it hadn't been for Joolio it would've taken even longer. It's a stormer. Purple and Heep fans will dig bigtime;

Elvis Presley 'The King Of Rock & Roll - The Complete 50's Masters' - well, this is text book stuff innit. Just about perfect, but hardly unsung, so I'll move swiftly on to:

Deep Purple 'The Battle Rages On'. Can't get into this one. A sad end to Mark II Purple I fear. They actually benefitted from Blackmore jumping ship the second time methinks;

Pete Brown & Piblokto! 'Thousands On A Raft' - I waxed lyrical about this lost British hero last week. He deserves an article to himself. Suffice to say this is an album way ahead of its time with wonderfuly erratic yet heartfelt guitar wizardry by Jim Mullen. Whatever became of him;

Clouds 'Scrapbook' - owners of the first ace Island sampler 'You Can All Join' will have an alternate version of one of the best songs from this forgotten album. It's patchy with some out-and-out MOR in places but when it's good it's terrific. A band that really deserved more;

Caravan 'Caravan' - my, how I've underrated this album in the past. Last year's new remastering has really brought this album out of its shell (it always sounded thin and weedy on vinyl) and revealed this to be a classic debut, full of all the great songwriting and English glory of this appalinglly underrated band. I'd play 'Where But For Caravan Would I' to anyone to illustrate what they were missing - nine minutes of perfect, psych-tinged melodic glory with just the requisite amount of home-counties weirdness. Marvellous.

And I played some Beethoven too. But you don't want to know about that here.

Good vibes, dudes

DW
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index