Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Stevo
Stevo
6664 posts

Re: Soundtrack To Our Lives W/E 26/1/03
Jan 28, 2003, 18:56
what's in the bag this week?
AMON DUUL Paradieswarts Duul
The first LP by the original band. After hearing about banks of bongos for years this seems surprisingly drum light. Very spare, near acoustic sounding electric band play 3 long tracks (plus both sides of the single on this Captain Trip version)

CHROME The Chronicles
Dossier version of the lp that came as an extra record wiuth the original vinyl box set if I’m thinking right. This is the one with Anorexic Sacrifice and The Chronicle of the Beacon on. Heavy skronking psych metal? Dunno how this is normally classified. I’d say File Under Chrome? Or maybe Avant Garage?

OUM KALSOUM The Mother Of The Arabs
The great Arabic singer with acoustic small group sounding instrumentation. This has next to no information but sounds atmospheric. Can’t think what to say other than she’s one of Jah Wobble’s favs and I’ve beenmeaning to get her material for years.

CONGOS Heart Of The Congos
One of the essential Reggae LPs. Perry imbues the production on what otherwise would be a folk-gospel-harmony lp with so much spaciousness that it is downright psychedelic. I hear comparisons to things like Can as well as Malian stuff by the likes of Kasse Mady.

UFO 2 Flying One Hour Space Rock
Mogg and co playing heavy spacerock from 72. Some great wah wah and slide herein, though the rhythm section occasionally seems to drag.
But I keep wondering how the original vinyl came out was it 2 sides of ½ an hour each or what? Pretty difficult to break it up otherwise with 2 majorly long tracks and 3 semi normal ones.

POPUL VUH Hosianna Mantra
Mostly instrumental stuff by Fricke and co. Here joined by the guitar of Conny Veit between Gila incarnations. Nice stuff.

JADE WARRIOR
Strangely ambient sounding first LP by ex July progsters. Sections of heavy guitar and mainly African derived ethnic drumming.

OXFORD CIRCLE Live At The Avalon 1966
66 garage-impro-raveup Yardbirdsy takes on Brit invasion sounds including covers of The Animals and the typical Bo Diddley etc.
Should disparage the idea that Blue Cheer couldn’t play since Paul Whalley is stretching out here quite adequately 2 years before Vincebus Eruptum

LARRY YOUNG Lawrence Of Newark
Very Spacey psychy jazz lp by organ player Young and pretty big band apparently including first appearance of James ‘Blood’ Ulmer on not very guitar sounding guitar and an uncredited Pharaoh Sanders.

SHIRLEY COLLINS Within Sound Disc2
2nd disc of the box set ranges from stuff with Davy graham in 64 to an Xmas LP from 69. The portative organ by her sister Dolly is great and the later tracks sound oddly psychedelic for acoustic traditional stuff.

KINKS Ultimate Collection
Had to start somewhere didn’t I? Been meaning to get some of their stuff for years. And found this in a sale. Where next after this? It sounds pretty good up to about 72.
Dunno about the late 80s stuff at the end though.
See My Friends has been claimed as one of the earliest raga-influenced rock tracks.
Ray Davies seems to be a closer influence on most of the other mid 60s Brit invasion songwriters than Dylan.

Stevo
Np Popul Vuh Hosianna Mantra Ah
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index