Unsung Forum »
Soundtracks to Our Lives Weekending 4th June 2011

75 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Soundtracks to Our Lives Weekending 4th June 2011
Jun 07, 2011, 15:55
I have an unashamed love for "Psychonaut". Prog dance goth with extra flour power. Lofty, possibly silly, ambition in a time when such things could get you shot in the head behind the chemical works.

I always thought a lot of the problem the taste-mongers of the day had with 'goth', which musically, was a much broader (dark) church than is often given credit for, is that, at it's heart, it's rock and as we all know, in certain quarters, rock n roll is ok, rock is not. Or, it is, if it knows its place i.e Kerrang, not NME et al. The lapses into silliness and bombast are often too much to countenance for critics where credibilty eats away at critical faculties and overrides any music concerns. The 'guilty pleasures' notion, still much in use, has always been a handy get out clause when it would simply be easier to say, I like this record and I don't care. Getting older is mostly shit, but one (black and) silver lining is the freedom to say "I think Fields of The Nephilim have made some awesome songs! and not give a ratsbum about looking silly! x
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index