Soundtracks to Our Lives Weekending 4th June 2011

75 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Soundtracks to Our Lives Weekending 4th June 2011
Jun 06, 2011, 17:14
Hail \m/

Kate Bush - Director's Cut. I have to admit I approached this with some trepidtation, even given my love of La Bush, but I am relieved and delighted to say that I think it really works and I'm really enjoying it. It is so much more than a rehash of old tunes and I'm stunned how well it all hangs together as an album in its own right given the divergent sources of the songs. And, the new version of "This Woman's Work", something I was properly dreading in all honesty, is fantastic; raw minimal with a hint of world weariness about it made all the more heartfelt and profound as you now have a pre and post childbirth version of this song with as much emotional impact as ever, but with such different resonances. Amazing.

The Rods - Vengeance. Fun an rockin meat and potatoes metal n roll from RJ Dio's cousin. (ta IanB!) Hardly reinventing the wheel, but it does put spikes on it and drive it quite fast through your face! \m/

Robin George - Dangerous Music. As IanB has said elsewhere a great, 'lost' artifact resolutely of its time, but I think some of the songs are pop-metal classics (that never where) and could have made this dude as big as yer Leppards n Jovi's especially as Robin George embraced the tech of the time to add to the pacakage like the aforementioned. Plus, remember Gary Moore's brief, but successful dalliances with electronic kit (Run for Cover/Wild Frontier era) before he re-disocevered da blooze? Simlar thing. The whole RG saga is such a rock hard-luck story it's amazing. In many ways the bloke had everything ready to go, and then it was just one quasi-comical biz mess after another. Oh well.

Black Country Communion - Black Country. Liked it, now LOVE IT!

X-Press 2 - Muzikizum
Mylo - Destroy Rock n Roll. (Whatever happened to...?)

Rush - Moving Pictures. Immense
Rush - Signals. For a lot of folk, the poor cousin to MP and the start of the patchy, too-many-synths-years, but I rate it right up there with MP in terms of the songs and sound. Plus, it's got some of Geddy and Neil's most mind-boggling bass n drums slotting in with the tunes. And a rare instance of Rush using an outside musician via the lush violin on the beautifully sad "Losing It".

Bert Jansch - Legend: the Classic recordings. Ace.

Mirror Queen - From Earth Below

Mithotyn - S/T MCD
Dol Theeta - The Universe Expands. Wonderfully OTT techno metal bombast melange.

Lunar Dunes - Galaxsea. Lush it be!

Have a nice week sound sniffers x
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index