Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jun 06, 2011, 09:47
Re: Soundtracks to Our Lives Weekending 4th June 2011
Jun 06, 2011, 08:14
Dog 3000 wrote:
Oddly enough I was just listening to newly-acquired Spirit's "Farther Along" album from 1976. I thought it stunk! Like the record company told them to write a hit for radio OR ELSE, so they threw every idea at the wall: country, disco, classical strings, etc. -- and the result is just a bland bore. (Group is 4 of 5 orignal members minus Jay Ferguson on this one.)

Cued up for next listening: 1989's "Rapture in the Chambers", which I am almost afraid to listen to cuz the cover is so ghastly!! (band is just Randy, Cass & Locke "with special guest Mark Andes" for this one.)

I do really like "Spirit of 76" and that other 70's one with Randy California surrounded by lightning on the cover ("Son Of"?)

But my overall favorites by SPIRIT are the first self-titled "jigsaw face" one and "Family That Plays Together", with "Sardonicus" (produced by David Briggs ya know) third favorite. Somehow "Clear" seems like the dud of their early period; though "Feedback" (1972) doesn't have R. California, so is perhaps the least of them all (he's the one irreplaceable member, though Jay Ferguson also had a certain something and wrote lots of their "hits".)

One of the best "unsung" 60's groups. Key originators of "jazz rock" (before jazzrocking was cool.) And those early records are lushly psychedelic in a proto-prog style (segueing songs together, musique concrete, sitar reveries, etc.)

They should be a lot more popular than they are!

They certainly should. The 60s stuff sounds a bit mannered to me though keep in mind that I don't much enjoy the Love records either for the same reason. By the time they got to Mercury I think there was a more mature musical thing going on but will a sense of adventure as its vehicle. "Farther Along" isn't a work of genius but it has some moments (Can you hear the bits that to me sound like Cope in terms of vocal delivery?) I assume Cope was very aware of the 60s stuff. It's also the first of the full reunion efforts so not really connected to the other three (if you include Future Games with '76 and Son Of). For context "Farther Along" is no worse or more unfocused than "Carl & The Passions" or "Holland" or all the WB Bootsy albums. Faint praise perhaps!

When it comes down to it I think they made much better music as a duo than as a full band.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index