Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

Edited Jun 05, 2011, 11:21
Re: Soundtracks to Our Lives Weekending 4th June 2011
Jun 05, 2011, 11:19
Okay, here's me for the last week:

Clive Gregson 'Bittersweet' - excellent new album from one of our most unsung singer-songwriters. Admirers of Clive's previous work will walk away from this one with a big smile on their faces as always; newcomers will find this as good a place to start as any. No one makes me ask "Why did no-one come up with this chord sequence before" more than this guy;

Gruff Rhys 'Candylion' - so impressed have I been with Rhys' new album 'Hotel Shampoo' (a real album of the year contender for me, by the way), that I've backtracked to his previous record, which is in a very similar vein of baroque pop. Here's another guy with a very real melodic gift, not mention a distinctive vocal style. I dig his solo work more than his band's, to be honest;

Richard Thompson 'Action Packed - The Best Of The Capitol Years' - near faultless collection of peak-commercial period Thompson that is currently being flogged at my local His Master's Voice emporium for a very reasonable three sobs. You really can't go wrong at that price. Blow your bus fare on it and walk the long miles home;

Jethro Tull 'Live - Bursting Out' - capturing the last great line-up of Tull in concert before personnel changes, vocal problems and the comforts of affluence slid them into mediocrity, this reminds me why I've always loved the work of this band's first ten years;

Also played Aereogramme's sterling swansong 'My Heart Has A Wish That You Would Not Go' (my favourite album of the last decade), Hank Marvin's self-titled solo album from 1969, and Pink Floyd's magnificent 'More' from the same year - their most underrated record ever. And some fine performances from a recent, cheap anthology of Charles Munch recordings called 'Charles Munch Conducts Romantic Masterworks', including a magnificent interpretation of Schubert's delightful Second Symphony. It ain't rock'n'roll, but I like it, like it, yes I do...

Off to Shetland on me hollybobs next week, so I'll be quiet for a while. Have a good week or two, discerning dudes.

Dave
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index