75 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Re: Soundtracks to Our Lives Weekending 4th June 2011
Jun 05, 2011, 22:57
Grandaddy - The Windfall Variental
Pulled 2000 tour CD. Has some nice selections and versions, and we even get to hear 'Jed' in a recorded phone message. Worth tracking down for the ridiculous 'Alan Parsons in a Winter Wonderland', which is the reason it got pulled, allegedly.

Grandaddy - Under The Western Freeway
They never got better than this in my opinion, 40 odd minutes of sonic perfection

Thurston Moore - Demolished Thoughts
This is awesome, some truly beautiful moments. No weird guitar tunings or harsh distorto mashings just straight ahead folky 'Americana' acoustics. Not what I was expecting from Thurston I gotta say, but well worth picking up. I've always been a fan of his laconic vocal style, and this records fits it perfectly.

Pavement - Wowee Zowee
Not played this in years. Was a massive pavement fan back in the day, but wasn't totally moved by this I gotta say. I used to play it to death, but found myself skipping to the noisier stuff.

Datashock - Die Pyramiden von Gieben
This is a totally immersive ambient glitch of a record. Crazy Guitar wiggy bits next to Kosmiche lushness. Particularly loving 'Kanal Telemedial Energieausgleich' which is a journey of truly cosmic proportions.

Subway - Subway II
Great 'Kosmiche/Krauty' ambient house on Soul Jazz. Been playing it all week and loving it all over again. Kinda like the self titled Prinz Thomas album of last year.

Cologne Tapes - Render
Another experimental/electronic record full of 'Kosmiche' attitude.
Whilst walking up in the hills today, I sat sheltering from the light rain under trees totally blissed out to the track 'Render 4'. A beautiful tinkling arpeggio of sound that fit the moment perfectly. Well worth tracking this limited release if you dig the Datashock stuff.

Other stuff
Reading Will Hodgkinson's 'Guitar Man', as recommended by Keith A.
Gotta say I had to revise my opinion of the fella, as he comes across as an amiable, knowledgeable and likable guy in the book, hell, I might even pick up my old Telecaster again after i finish reading. It's been sitting in the corner gathering dust for years for no good reason other than I never f=got it out after we moved.

Have a better one!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index