Soundtracks To Our Lives Weekending 9/4/11

73 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Monganaut
Monganaut
2382 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives Weekending 9/4/11
Apr 12, 2011, 00:07
Quite a bit of listening this week has been informed by watching the classic 80's sound system pic 'Babylon' again.

Blackbeard - I Wah Dub
Jah Shaka - Commandments of Dub 1 & 2
Babylon - OST
Aswad - New Chapter of Dub
Black Uhuru - The Dub Factor

Other stuff

LCD Sound System - Live Madison Square Gardens.
Last ever gig, divided into 4 sets. Could do without the 45.33 bit, but otherwise pretty good. I always enjoyed them live, thought they really came to life on stage, and i do love a good bop.

Horrid Red - Empty Lung
Post punk with krautrock moments, works well.

Cologne Tape - Render EP
Great krauty sound scapes.

David Bowie - Lost Beeb Tapes
Bootleg of a bunch of BBC sessions, TV appearances etc that all sound pretty damn fine. A strangely great version of Andy Warhol featuring Dana, of all people.

Au Pairs - Live In Berlin
Dug this old vinyl out for the outstanding version of Headache For Michelle. Fabbo.

Liars - Drums Not Dead
Still digging this.

Hula - Murmur
This still sounds fresh and exciting, primitive sampling and cut up, middle eastern scales and a strangely paranoid atmosphere. Not a duff track on it, the only Hula record you need.

Joy Division - Various bits of Heart and Soul box.
Really hooked on An Ideal For Living this week, esp. No Love Lost.

German Oak - Nibelungenlied
Love this weird German alt folk from long time past. Just fit the tone driving home from a jaunt along the Worcester Way.

Reading etc.

Currently reading the Stewert Lee book 'How I Escaped My Certain Fate'.
A great insight into(IMO) a slightly awkward comic genius. In the book he gives a potted history of Alternative Comedy, and a breakdown of several live show. the asides are at once thought provoking and hilarious.
Fav' bit so far...interviewing Ang Lee about the crappy Hulk movie, he allegedly opens the interview by slipping in the following "Anglee, You won't Like Me When I'm Anglee" after varios conversational openers. Needless to say it went sailing over Ang Lee's head, he just didn't get it.
Or maybe it's another of his flights of fancy, still, made me chuckle.

After watching the movie Radio On again last week (it crops up on Sky Arts from time to time) I'm cobbling together an imaginary soundtrack to flesh out the few bits used in the film. Maaan! I need to get out more.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index