Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fatalist
Fatalist
1123 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives Weekending 9/4/11
Apr 11, 2011, 14:52
mingtp wrote:
Fitter Stoke wrote:
Ah, a fellow King's X fan at last. I was beginning to think I was the only one around here!

Yeah, 'Out Of The Silent Planet' is one helluva debut. I'm gonna dig it out now.

Listening to it now. As great as it still is (and it is), it's hard to imagine how gobsmackingly revolutionary it was to my callow 17 year old ears.

It was the first "intelligent metal" album I'd heard, which along with Living Colour and Jane's Addiction opened the doors for other heavy but cleverish bands. Without them there'd have been no Tool, no Warrior Soul, no Last Crack, no Mordred, no Mindfunk, the list goes on. Maybe it was zeitgeist, maybe it was fake, but I loved it when metal decided it was okay to have a brain.

Are you a fan of The Beyond? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beyond_(band) Whenever 'intelligent' is used as a prefix in music, it's usually shorthand for 'wanky bollocks' - but The Beyond, both musically and lyrically, were clearly a genuinely intelligent band. Second album Chasm is particularly superb.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index