Soundtracks To Our Lives Weekending 9/4/11

73 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2614 posts

King's X
Apr 11, 2011, 09:03
I dig King's X because they carry forward - with aplomb - the lineage of the funk/metal crossover vibe that Hendrix, the Isleys, Zeppelin and Mark III/IV Purple brought into life in the previous decade. They're staggering musicians as well, kicking up one helluva racket for a three-piece band. They've never had their due, but they carry on making great music regardless.

Regarding the Christian bit, I think Wikipedia sums it up very well:

"Despite the band members having varying degrees of Christian beliefs through the years, and the group having had early dealings in the Contemporary Christian market, the members of King's X have never considered themselves a "Christian" band. However, some of their early lyrical themes (especially the first three albums) have led to some people labeling the group as such; which all three members strongly oppose."

It's also worth pointing out what the same source says about bassist/vocalist Doug Pinnick:

"Whether the band's name was intended as a Christian reference or not, the band members themselves have resisted being identified as a Christian metal or Christian rock band. Although many of their early lyrics have a clear spiritual influence, generally this came from the individual faith of the members rather than an explicit attempt to tap into the contemporary Christian music market in the way groups such as Petra did. The fact that King's X signed to Christian labels early in their career and that the Faith Hope Love CD insert contained an entire chapter of the Bible, likely further fueled their association as a Christian band. What's more, some of their albums were marketed through Christian book stores, but most removed King's X records after Pinnick's announcement in 1998 of his homosexuality. A former Protestant, Pinnick has since openly discussed his agnosticism and his belief that Jesus Christ was not truly the Son of God."

In short, it's one of those things you can make as much or as little of as you like. Personally, any band that rocks as hard as King's X can believe what they like as far as I'm concerned.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index