Unsung Forum »
'Morrissey is racist' - Moz responds

27 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
keith a
9574 posts

Re: 'Morrissey is racist' - Moz responds
Jan 13, 2008, 12:01
As you may know, I'm a huge Cope fan, but I think his 'status' is pretty much his own doing. He lost a lot of the arty lot when he had a top ten hit - I didn't think there was anything wrong with that but I did feel the press seemed to think The Bunnymen were 'cooler'! - and then he blew it commercially. But whilst he doesnt get given his due as often or much as he deserves, I think he probably feels more comfortable operating at his present level.

As for Lou Reed...well, I'm struggling to think of a solo LP I really rate since New York. Sure they have their moments, but I think the NY plaudits went to his head and he became this overbearingly serious soul, whereas TBH I preferred the frothiness of I Love You Suzanne to virtually anything he's released post-NY.

Never been a Chilton fan, but have you heard The Gories album he produced circa '88/89 IIRC? Basic, bluesy, swamp stomps. Good stuff.

As for Brian Wilson...well, he's Brian Wilson and that's that! I will forgive a man who made all those glorious records in the 60's anything, although having Eric Clapton guesting pushed me to the limits. ; )

But seeing him on his 1st Pet Sounds dates...well, he may have done little more than sit there for much of the gig (though he did get up and play bass at the end), but it was such an emotional experience. I'm not normally the type to utter sentences like 'there was so much love in the room', but, er, there was!!

Mozza's had a couple of more recent great runs IMO. Your Arsenl was an unexpected delight after he appeared to have lost it with Kill Uncle. Vauxhall & I was even better. I think it's something of a classic Moz album. And the last two have been hugely enjoyable (the last one wasn't quite as instant, but it's a real grower. Great Visconti production, too!), which was a real bonus after the rather poor Maladjusted and the lengthy silence that followed it.

As for Scott...Tilt and Drift may well be 'smoke and mirrors art rock'. I'd certainly class them as interesting rather than classic. Like you I'd rather hear sing Montague Terrace anyday!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index