27 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jan 13, 2008, 09:54
Re: 'Morrissey is racist' - Moz responds
Jan 13, 2008, 09:28
Agree totally though I don't understand why artists who had three or four brilliant years thirty or forty years previous seem to be installed in the pantheon for all time and without question whereas others, who make a steady (occasionally spectacular) impact, on our musical culture are fated to be banging in the door. Cope is a pretty good example of that.

Lou Reed is a classic case if the artist trading on long distant former glories. If his solo career had stopped completely with Berlin would any of us be the poorer for it? Other than than Lou of course.

Street Hassle and Coney Island Baby and Blue Mask are nice enough but you can go whole six or seven years at a time waiting for a half decent Lou record. Hardly the stuff of legend. Chilton's the same thing.

Brian Wilson is sadly a 40 year casualty who critics are endlessly willing to overcome his problems while he turns out un-ironic lounge albums. Seeing him on stage at the RFH doing the Smile thing was plain ghoulish. He was like some mummified Scooby Do character. Shaggy's Dad.

Mozza had a couple of great runs. I was just saying that the history books might find his body of work less compelling overall than the indie scribblers do. Still "Hatful Of Hollow" "Meat Is Murder" and "Queen Is Dead" are up there in their own way with "Pet Sounds" and "White Light White Heat" for sure.

As for Walker is it too soon to say a lot of "Tilt" and "Drift" is smoke and mirrors art rock? I'd rather hear him sing "Montague Terrace"!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index