Unsung Forum »
'Morrissey is racist' - Moz responds

27 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: 'Morrissey is racist' - Moz responds
Jan 08, 2008, 14:02
Good points very well made. And I'm glad to see Morrissey actively adressing the issue. If there was one mistake he made when the whole "Is Morrissey racist?" thing flared up the first time round it was the sense of his hubris and perhaps even arrogance and reliance that his fans would be happy for him to refuse to comment on such potentially damaging accusations. Perhaps he thought he was maintaining a dignified silence but I think it came over badly when he could easily have nipped it in the bud and put a stop to such rumours. As a Morrissey fan I know at least I wanted him to say something, to speak out and defend his case with the kind of wit and eloquence on display in this new article. Again, perhaps he thought he would be seen as "not playing the game" but his inaction could be read as being arrogant, even by his devoted fans. Certainly I think it damaged his career and standing somewhat.

I'm not quite the Morrissey devotee I was but I read the recent NME piece that caused the furor this time round - oddly enough the first NME I'd bought in aeons to see for myself what the fuss was about so I'm afraid the NME's obvious attempt to shift a few copies worked on me for one issue - and there is no doubt in my mind that it was a hatchet job pure and simple. There were moments that it appeared at the very least that Morrissey could have perhaps chosen his words more carefully, given the previous history with such issues, but overall it was glaringly obvious that the NME was stitching him, and their readers up. So I'm glad that by choosing to speak out and defend his corner this time, Morrissey has shown the NME in it's true light. Cheeky bugger too, using the "truculent and devious" quote that was applied to him by a Judge several years ago.

I don't think Morrissey is a saint, or perhaps as untouchable as he often seems to think he is , but I think he's done the right thing in the right way here.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index