27 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
IanB
IanB
6761 posts

Edited Jan 08, 2008, 13:50
Re: 'Morrissey is racist' - Moz responds
Jan 08, 2008, 13:38
I agree that in the era of Wilde, Roberts, Mathur, Studs, Reynolds, Stubbs et al the writing on Melody Maker was of a reasonable standard and they were early on many a bandwagon. MM was a veritable oasis of literary and journalistic talent and critical insight compared with the likes of Hewitt, O'Hagan, Brown et al and their obsession with hip hop and anything that wasn't in any way shape or form Rock. The NME ceased being alternative music's paper-of-record with Neil Spencer's passing.

Melody Maker was also chronically under-funded compared with the NME which was considered to be the flagship publication. That's nought to do with the relative merits of the two papers of course. The industry considered NME to be the cooler publication so advertising funds, general booty and preferential access flowed in their direction. No coincidence that the final demise of MM came with the cut in print advertising spends by the majors and the ubiquity of the internet. As far as IPC was concerned its raison d'etre was to soak up excess industry ad spending.

Hard to believe how much one hung on the inkies every word in the 70s though we also forget how unreadable a lot of it was. It's like when people overstate the fabulousness of OGWT. Most weeks it was lame and lazy. Peel could also be maddeningly inconsistent which was of course part of his huge charm as a broadcaster.

My 16 year old daughter still reads Kerrang but only as a social thing. She wouldn't miss it if it went away overnight. Take away You Tube and she'd be marching on Downing Street! I don't miss any of the weeklies. I miss some of the writers and their enthusiasms but it was blogger standard journalism by and large. Especially when they regularly got into naming a new Future Of Rock And Roll on the basis of a 20 minute set in the Bull and Gate!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index