'Morrissey is racist' - Moz responds

27 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Re: 'Morrissey is racist' - Moz responds
Jan 08, 2008, 14:48
I lost it with NME and stopped reading it the day they stupidly had 'Comedy Is The New Rock & Roll' emblazoned across the front cover. It summed up how little they really cared/knew about music.

And it confirmed my feeling that most of these journalists were literature graduates with an infuriating obsession with lyrics. It's so much easier to review a record just from a lyrical perspective rather than trying to describe what the music actually sounds like. So many times I'd read a review and be left wondering what the FUCK it sounded like, because I'd just read an undergraduate thesis on the lead singer's psychological/political foibles, which has never been my main interest in music anyway.

In my opinion everyone who submits Unsung reviews on this site does a better and more courageous job of writing record reviews that actually attempt to describe MUSIC than any NME writers did back then (can't speak for it now cos it's years since I even stood in a newsagents and thumbed through it out of curiosity whilst waiting for a train.) They came across as careerists with little or no real interest in music at all, and Morrissey's claim that the journo who interviewed him was proud of his own ignorance seems to prove nothing's changed.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index