75 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Popel Vooje
5373 posts

Re: Sountracks to our lives 11 July 2004CE
Jul 13, 2004, 22:06
Well, this week I have been mostly playing:

Secret Machines - Now Here Is Nowhere

Not quite as left-field as I'd been led to expect and closer to standard indie rock than I imagined, but still pretty listenable. Even reminds me of the House Of Love in places, although it's rougher and more hard-bitten. NY bands seem to be being gobbled up by major labels everywhere these days; all looking for the next Strokes probably. This is better by far.

Woody Guthrie - Pastures Of Plenty

24-track compilation of dustbowl era folk tunes which had me re-reading "The Grapes Of Wrath" again, v. evocative of that whole era, especially the talking blues stuff.

Wire - Chairs Missing

Never get tired of this one, although "Pink Flag" may have been more influential this is my favourite. Still impresses with it's fusion of angular punk and dreamy psychedelic textures, which somehow manages to avoid sounding schizophrenic at all.

The Flaming Lips - Transmissions From The Satellite Heart

Not my favourite Lips album, but pretty solid collection of songs nonetheless. Haven't really listened to this much in years but re-discovered it this week and got strong feeling of deja vu for my post-collegiate days.

Camper Van Beethoven - Camper Van Beethoven

Dug this one out again too after re-reading PMM's review. Unlike "Chairs Missing" this sounds totally schizophrenic but it's crazy potpourri of different genres adds a refreshingly 80s slant on the crazy folkadelia of Kaleidoscope and Country Joe And The Fish.

Apart from that, I've just been listening to the media player on shuffle. The last 30 minutes alone have thrown up The House Of Love, Spiritualized, The Monkees, Kaleidoscope, Richie Hawtin, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Ed Rush & Optical and Thelonmious Monk. A mishmashy radio station on which you choose the playlist and there's no annoying DJ patter or formatting - just how I like my Unsung to be, even if it does attract the occasional troll.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index