which then led me to

richard hell & the voidoids - blank generation

n that was great too and not as punk as it was made out to be

and of course a small amount of elp and of course that was shit
Zos
389 posts

Re: Sountracks to our lives 11 July 2004CE
Jul 11, 2004, 20:10
Thunders' LAMF? I thought it was pretty patchy, I'll dig it out for a listen...

This week;

Bert Jansch - Jack Orion: Love this album, got to learn how to play The Waggoner's Lad. :o)

The Real Bahamas vol 1: Mainly because it was the only thing I had in my walkman. Still think this must have been hugely influential at the time of release in 1966... amazing.

Wooden Wand and the Vanishing Voice - Angel Hair: Skewed, odd wierdo "folk"... skipping the second track most of the time to get into the other odd little tracks - love the primitive solo on "Party with Me Pinko" and am awaiting their XIAO lp with baited breath.

Alice Coltrane - Transcendence: My late night reading music, while pouring over books on genetic algorithms and Trithemius... I love this album, what else were the Satori String Quartet involved with?
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Thunders
Jul 11, 2004, 20:25
I think Johnny Thunders is even more over-rated than Eric Crapton.

Someday I will get out LAMF again and see if I have misjudged.

I like the NY Dolls albums OK, but it's nothing to do with the guitar playing particularly.
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Jul 11, 2004, 20:41
Negativland - 'Helter Stupid'
Negativland - 'Pastor Dick: Muriel's Purse Fund'
Both inspired by the Church of the Subgenius being mentioned around here recently.

Barry Adamson and Pan Sonic - 'The Hymn of the 7th Illusion'
Short but beautiful melding of choral voices and rumbling electronics. Gorgeous.

Barry Adamson - 'King of Nothing Hill'
This was slightly disappointing to me at the time of its release (weight of expectation?), but it really clicked this week as a walkman soundtrack for cracked city living.

Cassetteboy & DJRubbish - 'In A Whale's Cock'
Absurd plunderphonia and spoofery. Fun, if unfocussed stuff.

Trevor Wishart - 'Red Bird / Anticredos'
High quality rip-offs of Stockhausen's ideas. 'Red Bird' is like 'Hymnen' without the anthems, 'Anticredos' is like 'Stimmungen' with percussion. Great stuff though.

Stray - Sky
Our own Stray's beautiful journey into subtle glitch electronicascapes. Gorgeous.

Volcano The Bear - Five Hundred Boy Piano
Great, unclassifiable mainly improvised stuff. Stylistically all over the place from acoustic folk to musique conrete all mixed together, and managing to avoid self-indulgence.

Godspeed! You Black Emperor - Lift yr. Skinny Fists...
Not bad, but still think it was overrated and is over long. Would have made a better single CD really.

Can - Ege Bamyasi
Hadn't listed to this in some time and had forgotten quite how loaded with good tunes it is.

Throbbing Gristle - DoA
I don't think this has aged as well as a lot of their other albums such as 'Heathen Earth' really. Didn't blow me away like it did years ago. The balance between music and rough sound-experiments is too skewed to the latter really.

J.A. Seazer - Sealbreaking
Available in the merchandiser. I like this a lot, but just wish it was a better recording. Great Ash Ra Tempel/Cosmic Jokers feel married to '666'-era Aphrodite's Child. Nice, but muddy!

Two Lone Swordsmen - From the Double Gone Chapel
Weatherall and Tenniswood pick up some guitars and deliver dry vocals to an album of ruff electro. Not bad, but they're capable of doing this better I think.

Supersilent - 4
Not an easy ride this one. Improv like no-one else I've heard, and it has bags of that quality I love in my favourite music: Mystery.

There are lots of others, but can't remember any more at the moment. Think I'll go and listen to 'Dance of the Lemmings' now. Heheh.
Shrimp
Shrimp
1118 posts

Re: tanz
Jul 11, 2004, 20:46
enjoy
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Re: tanz
Jul 11, 2004, 20:50
Will do. I can guarantee it!
;-)
MonkeyBoy
1008 posts

Jul 11, 2004, 21:07
Nurse With Wound - Chance Meeting Of A Defective Tape Machine And Migraine: Steve Stapleton's mate makes a tape to tape copy of NWW first album but the cassette deck is so knackered that it stretches stuff, reverses stuff and generally morphs the f*ck out of it. This is my first proper NWW purchase and people say that it is not a good introduction to them. I did enjoy it on headphones on the way into work, but sounded worse over speakers. Next up im hoping to get a copy of The Man With The Woman Face.

Morrissey - You Are The Quarry: Great comeback album by The Moz.

Ian Brown - Golden Greats: Still sounds great, probabily his best one. More produced than Unfinished Monkey Business (which had a low-fi, under-produced almost amateurish charm all of its own).

Ian Brown - Music of The Spheres - Far too produced but contains his all time great F.E.A.R.

Death In June - The Brown Book: More Walkman listening and Douglas P's finest hour.

The Associates - Sulk: Great 80s pop with a hint of the darker side. Not quite as good as Fourth Drawer Down but still a classic.

Television - Marque Moon: regularly features in many greatest albums of all time polls and rightly so.

Emerson Lake and Palmer - Fanfare For The Common Man: listened to CD 1 of this double CD. Im going to post a review/appraisal of this (CD 1 only) but in the forum (don't want to steal Dog 3000 thunder or stray outside the interpreted boundaries of the review section). It will be mainly positive criticism as CD 1 kicks but CD 2 blows in the main so I might not bother with it.
Beebon
1375 posts

Jul 11, 2004, 21:07
Yo!

Shirley Collins - Amaranth: This is gradually begining to sink in with me... as with the rest of her stuff i've heard. I've always been used to acoustic folk music, but traditional stuff is quite alien to me. I am glad to say that is gradually changing and I'm really getting into this.

Parliament - Mothership Connection: Woah, this has been a lot of fun all week and you can certainly make my funk the P Funk!

Coil - Scatology: Yay! My CD finally turned up after just under 2 months wait from Threshold House. Needless to say i reckon this is great stuff yet still needs plenty more time :)

Human League - Reproduction: Got the LP for £3 last weekend and yeh it's ok... though i've only played it once so far. Im sure it's something i'm likely to come back to.

Simon & Garfunkel - Parsley Sage, Rosemary and Thyme: Music doesnt get much more twee than these two. I dont know why but i decided to dig me vynil copy out this week and ended up quite enjoying this... more than expected.

The Fall - Grotesque: Got this well cheap from ebay. Absolute classic album to these ears, sounds somewhere in between the unclean ramshackle sound of Dragnet and the slightly more subtle/experimental production of Hex Enduction Hour.

Thurston Moore - Psychic Hearts: Dug out me tape of this due to my recent return of interest with Sonic Youth. This is a great album though, full of catchy noise pop rockness with a long noisey guitar track at the end, which i rather enjoy.

Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty: This one encompases a huge range of their styles so in a way is a little bitty.... but i reckon that adds to the whole feeling of the record. I enjoy so much of this.

Super Furry Animals - Guerrilla: Yay love this album and am sooooo happy they are supporting Air when they play the Eden Project, i just know it's gonna be a very fun evening.

Can DVD: Not played this since around christmas time... however watched it at me mate's place last night plugged into a stereo (crappy one... but better than tv speakers!). Made the experience even more enjoyable! :)

Reckon that's all for this week!
:)
Cock-a-Doodle
803 posts

Jul 11, 2004, 21:20
Hi Monkey Boy - Nurse With Wound's Chance Meeting...Migraine really isn't the bestt hing they ever did - tho its ok - well worth seeing out are.....

Spiral Insana
Merzbild Schwet
A Sucked Orange
Sylvie & Babs
An Awkward Pause
Sugar Fish Drink
Homotopy To Marie
Second Pirate Session

Man With The Woman Face is excellent and well worth buying. In fact buy all the above and everything else - you can't go wrong!
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Warning: further ELP related discussion
Jul 11, 2004, 21:33
I'm sorry, I don't care what anyone around here has been saying lately you should review the whole thing and post it up in the record review section.

Hit this link: http://www.headheritage.co.uk/unsung/ and here is what it says about reviews:

"Regarding your own contributions, as long as they are of a good readable standard, reviews of anything will be accepted - there is no mediator, just stick it up there yourselves."

Until there's some new instructions I don't see any reason to do it any differently than we've been doing it. Which is to say: "reviews of ANYTHING will be accepted"

If the 2nd CD sucks, just say so succinctly and move on. Though I'd really like to hear WHY the second CD is lame . . .

(Sorry to rant on about this . . . I'm gonna stop now for awhile, I promise!)
Pages: 8 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

Unsung Forum Index