Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Re: Sountracks to our lives 11 July 2004CE
Jul 11, 2004, 20:41
Negativland - 'Helter Stupid'
Negativland - 'Pastor Dick: Muriel's Purse Fund'
Both inspired by the Church of the Subgenius being mentioned around here recently.

Barry Adamson and Pan Sonic - 'The Hymn of the 7th Illusion'
Short but beautiful melding of choral voices and rumbling electronics. Gorgeous.

Barry Adamson - 'King of Nothing Hill'
This was slightly disappointing to me at the time of its release (weight of expectation?), but it really clicked this week as a walkman soundtrack for cracked city living.

Cassetteboy & DJRubbish - 'In A Whale's Cock'
Absurd plunderphonia and spoofery. Fun, if unfocussed stuff.

Trevor Wishart - 'Red Bird / Anticredos'
High quality rip-offs of Stockhausen's ideas. 'Red Bird' is like 'Hymnen' without the anthems, 'Anticredos' is like 'Stimmungen' with percussion. Great stuff though.

Stray - Sky
Our own Stray's beautiful journey into subtle glitch electronicascapes. Gorgeous.

Volcano The Bear - Five Hundred Boy Piano
Great, unclassifiable mainly improvised stuff. Stylistically all over the place from acoustic folk to musique conrete all mixed together, and managing to avoid self-indulgence.

Godspeed! You Black Emperor - Lift yr. Skinny Fists...
Not bad, but still think it was overrated and is over long. Would have made a better single CD really.

Can - Ege Bamyasi
Hadn't listed to this in some time and had forgotten quite how loaded with good tunes it is.

Throbbing Gristle - DoA
I don't think this has aged as well as a lot of their other albums such as 'Heathen Earth' really. Didn't blow me away like it did years ago. The balance between music and rough sound-experiments is too skewed to the latter really.

J.A. Seazer - Sealbreaking
Available in the merchandiser. I like this a lot, but just wish it was a better recording. Great Ash Ra Tempel/Cosmic Jokers feel married to '666'-era Aphrodite's Child. Nice, but muddy!

Two Lone Swordsmen - From the Double Gone Chapel
Weatherall and Tenniswood pick up some guitars and deliver dry vocals to an album of ruff electro. Not bad, but they're capable of doing this better I think.

Supersilent - 4
Not an easy ride this one. Improv like no-one else I've heard, and it has bags of that quality I love in my favourite music: Mystery.

There are lots of others, but can't remember any more at the moment. Think I'll go and listen to 'Dance of the Lemmings' now. Heheh.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index