Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Re: Sountracks to our lives 11 July 2004CE
Jul 12, 2004, 00:13
a bit of info here...
http://members.cox.net/_meddle/adamson/motorlab.html

Doing a search just now to find an on-line review, I couldn't find anyone who had anything complimentary to say about it! I remember it being slagged off at the time, but I love it. Aquarius records were about the only people to say anything vaguely nice!...

"From its beginnings, the Icelandic arts organization Kitchen Motors has been pairing off interesting cross-platform artists who may not have otherwise had the opportunity to work together. "The Hymn Of The Seventh Illusion" was a commission by Kitchen Motors for Pan Sonic and Barry Adamson to score a composition for the Hljomeyki Choir from Iceland. Surprised yet delighted to be working together, Adamson (best known for coining the term "imaginary filmscore" within his amazing noir albums such as "Moss Side Story) and Pan Sonic (the Finnish pioneers of ultra-minimal techno) had arrived an amazing piece that could have been a snippet from the eerie GYoRGY LIGETI chorales that were so instrumental to the sense of alienation within Kubrick's "2001." Utilizing the natural reverberation from Digraneskirkja church in Reykjavik, Pan Sonic and Adamson gently fluttered sustained vocal tones amidst the space, occasionally allowing for the choir to delve into a simple haunting melody, whilst Pan Sonic sets down a very subdued electronic back beat. Hopefully, the Kitchen Motors collaboration between Adamson and Pan Sonic won't end here!
Compounding the collaborative spirit, Kitchen Motors employed The Hafler Trio (whose solo member Andrew McKensie now lives in Iceland) to remix "The Hymn Of The Seventh Illusion." As McKensie has been moving further away from the fictional research projects and more towards the electro-acoustic studies from Luigi Nono, The Hafler Trio is a perfect fit. This remix has stretched and abstracted the polyphony of the chorus into a very creepy extended drone collage. Very nice work!"

There are also some snippets of it to listen to...
http://www.aquariusrecords.org/cat/electronic.html
(scroll down to where 'Adamson' is alphabetically)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index