Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 27/9/03

91 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 27/9/03
Sep 29, 2003, 15:26
Pop Group - We Are All Prostitutes. I'm sure you're all well familiar with this lot, but they were news to me. Can't really listen to this in a oner, but it has some great moments.

Fall - Live @ The Phoenix Festival. I won this off the radio through the week. A towering monument to ragged-assed genius. In lieu of the new album, it'll keep me ticking over.

Dick Dale - King Of The Surf Guitar. Twang!!!!!

David Viner - Mr David Viner. Pleasantly voiced singer songwriter. Was given this and told he was "the Bert Jansch of garage rock". not sure if they don't know who Bert Jansch is or what garage rock is.

Mu - Afro Finger & Gel. Tigerbeat6 album picked up cheaply. Just about to give up on this. I suspect that it suffers from the same clinicism as a lot of electronica. It just feels way too studied.

Country Teasers - Full moon Empty Sportsbag. I love the way these guys keep slipping albums out unnoticed. As usual, a wunnerful lopsided countrified nonsense.

Forty-Fives - Fight Dirty. Bought this on the strength of hearing one track on the radio ("The Devil Beats His Wife"). Expected a seriously fried blues boogaloo. Guess what? Yup, only one decent track on it. The rest sounds like lame generic 60's 'popular beat combo' tunes.

V/A - Vital Music. Chain with no name compilation. Given free with some purchases. It's got a song from the new Handsome Family album on it - brilliant. Good track by Kid Koala.. Pointless remix of Timezone's World Destruction by the Herbaliser. Some other stuff which hasn't really hooked my consciousness.

Frank Black & The Catholics in concert, last night. Brilliant. Must get some of their records, any suggestions? Rich Gilbert on guitar. He looks like Mike Reid (as in 'early in the morning'), but is a hero.
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index