Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 27/9/03

91 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Joolio Geordio
Joolio Geordio
1300 posts

Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 27/9/03
Sep 28, 2003, 10:35
Morning all welcome to another Soundtrax – this weeks essential listening has been :-

Gillan/Ian Gillan Band :-
The Japanese album – 1st outing for the heavy rock version of Gillan – it rocks
Mr Universe – more polished reworked European reworking of the Japanese album – peppered with bonus tracks
Futureshock – hated this for years – love it now 8-)
Toolbox – from 1991 – superb rock out from Gillan’s wilderness years from Purple (89 – 92) outclasses most of the Purple releases from 1984 onwards – should have been a huge hit – err wasn’t!
Scarabus – The Ian Gillan Band try to rock out with limited success – still too much noodly jazz rock crap
Live at the Budokan – live best of the IGB interesting historical document see comments re Scarabus though.

Mick Abrahams Band – A Musical Evening With……….. brilliant 1st solo outing from the former Tull and Blodwyn Pig guitarist.
The Black Keys – raw Free like (in places) blues based rock – don’t know much about this band but on the evidence of this disc well worth checking out.
Kaptain Copter – excellent guitar workouts from Randy California
Porcupine Tree – Recordings – outtakes from Stupid Dream and Lightbulb Sun sessions
Porcupine Tree – Insignificance – outtakes from the Signify sessions
Opeth – Damnation – mellow prog rock outing from Swedish thrash metal outfit it has Camel and Porcupine Tree fingerprints all over this album – the latter is hardly surprising as Tree mainman Steven Wilson handled production and some songwriting duties on this disc. Well worth a listen – I saw them play at Shepherds Bush on Thursday with two sets – firstly Damnation in its entirety then a second thrash metal set.
The Temptations – Psychedelic Shack/All Directions – great soul/funk from 70-72
Mile Davis – On The Corner – noodly jazz rock fusion from 1972 – interesting it places but doesn’t do it for me.
Feeder – Echo Park – good Brit rock
Free – Heartbreaker – final outing from Paul Rogers and Co. and possibly the best

And that’s it from me

Over to you lot

Joolio
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index