Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 27/9/03

91 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 27/9/03
Sep 28, 2003, 18:41
Hello and SPLOOOO!
Lots this week, being a birfday musical extravaganza n' all. New things, old things and thing things.

Syd Barret - The Madcap Laughs/Barrett. Ace double cd (avec out takes n stuff) of scarred soul fried psyche folk n songsmithery. I have enjoyed finally being able to hear the stuff properly. Timeless & great. Like muchly.

Venom - In League With Satan. Somewhere between revolutionary &, stupidty, cack handed and genius - much hilarity & awe. Ace cheap double of Tynside's proto black metal mentalists. Amongst the dazzling ineptitude and full on brilliance of it all are a couple of radio inserts with the band announcing themselves on a local radio station in full Geordie accents "A'hm Cronos an wor pleh the bess like" , "A'hm Mantas n wor pleh g'tar" totally great! Top quote in the sleeve "Our music is Power Metal, Venom Metal, Black Metal, not heavy metal 'cos that's for the chicks" hahahahahahah fuck me! Awful, brilliant, fucking great and there's a track called "AAAAAAAARGH!" WoW!

Cave In - Antenna. Former hardcore mob unleash their inner prog beast. Like it. Oddly enough, sounds like the Posies doing Rush songs.

X-Press 2 - Muzikizum. Deep house and grooves from Dj super group. Funky, slick lushment

Roni Size - Touching Down. WOW! absolutely belting drum n bass odyssey. Brilliant mix of old skool phatittude and clever clever layers. Totally stormin' and a real affirmation of drum n bass NOW!
I advise you - if you like d n b this is the mutz nutz of the moment.

Apollo 440 - Dude Descending A Staircase. Underrated beats n grooves combo unleash double of top tunes & sounds. Kind of (imho unfairly) derided as some novelty big beat act (Billy Mackenzie recorded his last ever vocal on a beaut Apollo 440 ballad) , but there's lots more going on here than is given credit for. Good stuff

Nebula - To The Center. Top psych Stoner rockers early album finally found! Love this band. Think Dos EP's & Charged are better albums but this rocks and swivvles like a supadude! New album on the way.....wheee!

Nebula - Dos EP's. Totally rad dude!

Prince - Dirty Mind. The first genuinely good Prince album. Hybrid of electro funk, full on funkosity & skinny tie New Wavery. Great stuff.

KISS - Detroit Rock City & I Was Made For Lovin' You . Post piss up last night loudness from kabuki faced godz.

Amused By Genitals - Peachy Arse Fuzz ( I like your demi wave)

The Heads - Everyone Knows We Got Nowhere. Full on space rock groove beast.

Also.....some celebratory rock n dance n blibbleness of the cosmos, funking about, and general sonic ear tomfoolery.

Have nice week!
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index