Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 27/9/03

91 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Dog 3000
Dog 3000
4611 posts

Musical memories of the week
Sep 29, 2003, 07:05
New single by The Kills, "Fry My Mind To Bits" or something like that -- garage blues like The White Stripes only less affected and more, well, fried. (Plug - I'm going to see them next week.)

Yo La Tengo - heard a bit of their new album "Summer Sun" and it struck me as Stereolabish. Then got free pass to see their show this weekend and thought many of their tunes had definite NEU!/Kraftwerk/Can overtones. An old indie band that may be worth re-exploring.

Have just started giving Daeve Allen & Gong a serious listen -- decided I like them quite a bit. The Cammembert album seems the best so far.

Edgar Broughton Band - Wasa Wasa & Sing Brother. Why hasn't anybody reviewed this band for Unsung yet?

Some Caravan & Jefferson Airplane too. BTW, Spin magazine had a brief article on the first 4 JA LP's reissued on CD again -- they said "after Surrealistic Pillow it gets too weird for us" which only goes to show those fools ain't forward-looking. Fucking Dave Asshole Fucker Matthews on the cover this month, need I say more?

Finally heard a couple tracks from this "new" Kraftwerk "Tour de France" CD -- sounds interesting if not classic. Like I heard it on the radio and got excited "hey! this sounds like Kraftwerk!" but then when I found out it WAS Kraftwerk I was sorta disappointed.

In the car: Ice Cube mix tape alternating with a bunch of old corny songs I am supposed to learn for an alleged open mic gig at a bar that will probably never happen (Link Wray, Cissy Strut, Long Black Veil, Bacon Fat, Leaving Here, Shot Down, Drinkin' Wine Spoe-dee-o-dee, etc.)
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index