Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 27/9/03

91 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Fitter Stoke
Fitter Stoke
2607 posts

Re: Soundtracks To Our Lives W/E 27/9/03
Sep 28, 2003, 23:56
As usual, my fellow north easterner Joolio and myself share common musical ground, this week in the rotund shape of Michael Abrahams and, specifically for myself, the excellent second Blodwyn Pig album 'Getting To This' which inspired my first Unsung review in ages. I do heartily second Joolio's admiration for 'A Musical Evening' as well. Hear this great underrated Brit axehero;

Also played:

Pete Brown and Piblokto! 'A Meal You Can Shake Hands With In The Dark' - which brings 1970 straight into your living room with aplomb. A wonderful record;

Joni Mitchell 'Hejira' - where the great Canadian songstress sorta loses the plot a little for me - I much prefer the earlier, solo confessional stuff;

Radiohead 'Seven Television Comercials' - a DVD of seven well-weird but wonderful videos of 'OK Computer' and 'Bends' era 45's. Can anyone begin to explain that sick animation for 'Paranoid Android'?;

Mothers 'We're Only In It For The Money' - which I heard for the first time this week (£5 at Music Zone - way hey) and which has remained welded to my in car CD player ever since. Well strange;

Van Morrison 'Into The Music' - surely his most overtly tuneful collection ever. Lovely;

Caravan 'The Unauthorised Breakfast Item' - which is slowly growing on me beyond the terrific first three tracks. Still a little subdued for my tastes mind;

Richard Sinclair 'What In The World' - which blends Canterbury's most endearing vocalist against a mesmeric Dutch baroque organ. His version of Genesis' 'For Absent Friends' is possibly the loveliest thing I've heard this century;

Robert Palmer 'Sneaking Sally Through The Alley' - OK, in memoriam - but this guy really did make some pearlers when he set his mind to it. Forget all that late 80's sexist bollocks, back in '75 he was an R & B (in its old meaning) singer of the highest class;

Outlaws 'Outlaws' - for 'Green Grass & High Tides' - ten minutes of southern rock heaven with a riff straight from planet Org.

That was it. A good week methinks.

Take care y'all

Davey x x x
Topic Outline:

Unsung Forum Index