52 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Re: Guess what verdict the cop got
Apr 08, 2010, 17:55
Locodogz wrote:
to post 3 clips featuring (some tiny percentage of the) police behaving badly and claim it dams the entire force somewhat beggars belief.

I picked stuff from those days as it was the incidents that sparked the debate, but from that I pointed out details - there are hundreds of officers there invlved in assualts, there appears to be no evidence of any of them refusing to participate or even being surprised by it.

Locodogz wrote:
I've just walked back through Covent Garden and (if so minded) could have filmed an equal amount of shots of coppers happily helping tourists to depict them all as saints.

It's not that this is what all police do all the time. Clearly, most of the time they don't. It's that they all do it when ordered to do so, and that doing so has always been part of the role of the police.

Locodogz wrote:
You don't know (apologies for the assumption if its wrong) all or indeed 99% of the UK's police officers so to tar them all morally corrupt and sociopathic on this evidence seems incredibly arrogant.

I make no claim to having met them all, but it is fair to make assumptions about people who have all volunteered to take on a particular role.

Locodogz wrote:
I have no idea what your chosen trade or profession is, however if I were to label everyone else in it as egotistic, boorish and incapable of rational argument I'd (quite rightly) be called an idiot. However it’s OK for you to do this?

No, it's not. But I didn't do that.

I make my judgements on the morality of the people who hold that position, based on the inherent morality of the position.

A better comparison would be to judge beef farmers on the way they feel about cattle. I'm sure there are some cruel ones and some kind ones, but they all raise animals and have them killed long before their natural lifespan's over. If you believed in the sanctity of all animal life, it would be fair to make strong negative judgements against beef farmers despite not having met them all.

Locodogz wrote:
One of the people I’m talking about is frankly way over qualified for the police and could have earned much more money, far more easily elsewhere but feels that her vocation gives an opportunity to put something back into society. How many ‘interactions’ with the public do you think the police have every single day?

I have no doubt that many people join the police for noble reasons. I have no doubt that the vast majority of interactions officers have with the public are not overtly repressive.

But their role is to defend the status quo. So, when it gets challenged they act against it. In the case of rampaging murderers, good on them. However, certain types of political action also get deemed as unacceptable and they get sent in to attack. The G20 protests were one such example.

On the evening of April 1st last year, before the death of Ian Tomlinson was known, the media and police were reporting it as quite a quiet demo all things considered and that the police had been relatively restrained. And, having been there myself, I agree. I've seen far greater carnage from them with far less provocation other times.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index