Guess what verdict the cop got

52 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Re: Guess what verdict the cop got
Apr 08, 2010, 14:02
Wasn't sure how to reply to this, cos a lot of it applies to stuff I've just said in reply to Locodogz's post

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/headtohead/u_know/topic/57377/threaded/723413

Is it fair to put replies to two posts in one response? Or does that break the thread up and perhaps make the person being responded to miss what gets said, and so lose the chance to reply back?

Anyway, the link above covers a lot of why I think the 'one bad apple' thing isn't true.

Daminxa wrote:
That copper was a wanker, a tosser, a twat of the highest order, but that wasn't BECAUSE he was a copper, he'd have been a tool whatever his profession. To me, he doesn't necessarily represent ALL policemen.

To me, he does. This is evidenced by the way his colleagues are unperturbed at his violence, and the thousands of similar assaults they committed during those protests, even before we get on to other ones. And the way none of his fellow officers turned him in, even before we get on to the routine tallying of lies in police statements to back one another up when they do get taken to court.

Daminxa wrote:
You can't generalise about people just on the grounds that they're in the police force, and the same should be said of protestors.

You can. It's fair to say the protesters share certain perspectives, so you can generalise. You can say that people on a climate camp protest are against the fossil fuel industry and are in favour of direct action including damage to property. You can say people on an EDL march are racist.

If people are in the police then they are prepared to use whatever coercion and violence it takes to ensure compliance with the law. Beyond that, there is a clear culture of ensuring compliance not just with the law, but with their instructions, and those who refuse to obey get get treated as if they were a threat and a guilty criminal.

Daminxa wrote:
Yeah well like I say, that particular copper got it badly wrong - yes they are supposed to be able to deal with a physical assault without giving someone a damn good pasting.

In the case of Smellie, he wasn't being assaulted.

Also, you the woman he hit was being 'violent and aggressive'. Check out the film and see if you think her outrage at the guy being smacked over overand the way it was expressed was understandable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V23PGWd46MM
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index