Guess what verdict the cop got

Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Guess what verdict the cop got
Apr 01, 2010, 17:33
The copper that smacked the woman across the legs and face at the vigil for Ian Tomlinson last year?

Acquitted.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/georgemonbiot/2010/apr/01/george-monbiot-police-trial-by-jury
The Sea Cat
The Sea Cat
3608 posts

Re: Guess what verdict the cop got
Apr 01, 2010, 18:42
It was a forgone. The 'STATE' cannot allow it's Stormtroopers to be vulnerable to any form of legal culpapbility for their brutal and disgusting treatment of innocent protesters acting perfectly 'legally' within this increasingly sad excuse for a 'Democracy'.
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Apr 01, 2010, 19:09
Once in a blue moon they have such overwhelming evidence that they let one go. Making them 'one bad apple' and patting themselves on the back for being so upright and responsible. (all the while ensuring they only get a lightweight sentence).

Alwyn Sawyer - a Southport sergeant who kicked and stamped on a drunken pensioner in custody in the late 80s, leaving him with fatal injuries and then denied anything to do with it until the forensics showed the bootprint on the chest matched Sawyer's - got 8 years.

Sergeant Kenneth Kitching and Inspector Geoffrey Ellerker, two Leeds coppers who had a violent racist campaign of violence against a homeless black man in Leeds in the 60s, got their charges of manslaughter dropped but still got several years each.

I'd kind of hoped that the evidence was so incontrovertible - really, go and look at the video - that this guy would have to go down too.

Sometimes I think I can be 'too cynical' about state powers; but now I'm not sure there's any such thing.
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Apr 01, 2010, 19:15
What got me was the size of the woman he assaulted. I don't care if she was giving him verbal; a copper should have a thicker skin than that, and if you can't deal with a slip of a lass like that getting up in your face then you really shouldn't be in the police force. I think this is an absolutely disgraceful episode and in the face of the video evidence I really don't see how he got away with it. I suppose it might be something with the fact the lady refussed to testify or whatever so they gave him the benefit of the doubt. The fact that policemen can justifiably smack you across the face and then across the back of the legs just because you've sworn at them or whatever unsettles me greatly.
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Apr 01, 2010, 19:46
I am very much pro police, and I also find this verdict appalling.

The police will never have peoples respect whilst things like this continue..

I hate Police that assault protesters, and also hate protesters that assault police...
micmacmoc
micmacmoc
288 posts

Apr 01, 2010, 22:02
Bloody sickening, though the video is quite deceptive....apparently this 'slip of a lass' is 6'.....not that that makes any difference to the scum who behaved in such a terrible way. Was it a fruit juice carton the cop felt threatened by? The judge (or whatever it was) said something about 'only having 7 seconds to assess the situation.' Bloody good job they don't let the twat have a car, only 7 seconds? Think about it....you must have to be truly thick to be a copper.

Grrrrr.
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Apr 01, 2010, 23:02
micmacmoc wrote:
Bloody sickening, though the video is quite deceptive....apparently this 'slip of a lass' is 6'.....not that that makes any difference to the scum who behaved in such a terrible way. Was it a fruit juice carton the cop felt threatened by? The judge (or whatever it was) said something about 'only having 7 seconds to assess the situation.' Bloody good job they don't let the twat have a car, only 7 seconds? Think about it....you must have to be truly thick to be a copper.

Grrrrr.

No. You dont have to be thick to be a copper, you have to be thick to be the sort of copper that twats someone for waving a fruit carton at you
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Apr 01, 2010, 23:38
Was she REALLY 6 foot? She looked tiny in the video footage! Either way, you don't just twat someone for swearing at you whilst brandishing a carton of orange juice!
ron
ron
706 posts

Apr 02, 2010, 03:19
grateful dead minds 'n' awl that...

ran accros't this last eve whilst doing the son of clovius rufus safe surfin' dealio...

http://www.cato.org/raidmap/

Cato Institute wrote:
Jeffery Robinson

July 30, 2002—TN

Police storm the home of Jeffery Robinson, a 41-year-old gravedigger in South Memphis, Tennessee. Robinson lived in a small building on the site of the cemetery that employed him. Police conducted the raid based on an anonymous tip that someone was selling marijuana on the cemetery grounds.

Raiding officers kick in Robinson's door and immediately shoot him in his bedroom, putting a bullet through Robinson's neck. Robinson would die three weeks later.

Police said at the time that Robinson charged them with a box cutter. They also found a small amount of marijuana near a camper in Robinson's backyard. Immediately after the raid, Robinson was charged with possession, even as he lay in a hospital, fighting for his life.

A review by the Memphis police department's internal affairs unit and the Attorney General's Office found no wrongdoing on the part of the police. For two and a half years, the officers who participated in the Robinson raid remained on the Memphis police force.

In October 2004, the jury in a federal civil suit brought by Robinson's family made some striking findings.

The jury concluded that the box cutter police say Robinson charged them with -- which was never fingerprinted -- was planted on Robinson after the raid.

During the trial, a medical examiner and blood spatter expert also testified that the shooting couldn't possibly have happened the way police say it did. Furthermore, the shirts worn by Robinson and the officer who shot him vanished after the raid. Trial testimony revealed that police bought a new polo shirt, still in its wrapper, and booked it as the shirt Robinson wore the night he was shot.

The federal jury concluded that the officers shot Robinson without justification, then tampered with the evidence to cover up their mistakes. The jury also cast doubt on the ensuing investigation by the police department's internal affairs division.

In February 2005, the eight officers involved in the raid were finally suspended, more than two years after the raid. Robinson's family won a $2.85 million verdict against the officers, and negotiated a $1 million settlement from the city of Memphis.

Sources:

"Eight Memphis officers finally suspended in botched drug raid," Associated Press, February 5, 2005.

Jacinthia Jones, "8 officers suspended in '02 drug raid -- Until now, they remained on force even after jury finding," Memphis Commercial Appeal, February 5, 2005, p. A1.

doc martin luther king wrote:
injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.

x
x
x
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

Apr 02, 2010, 16:48
Daminxa wrote:
I really don't see how he got away with it. I suppose it might be something with the fact the lady refussed to testify or whatever so they gave him the benefit of the doubt.

Nope, it's that he was a copper.

Imagine if the footage showed anyone else doing that, and the victim didn't testify.

Imagine if the roles were reversed and a member of the public twatted a copper like that, but the copper didn't testify.
Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index