Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Edited Sep 30, 2009, 15:10
Re: The US Healthcare act
Sep 30, 2009, 15:08
giantleech wrote:
There is no greater responsibility held at the Federal level of the US Government than this nation's defense via superior military force and technological capability (and the up to date maintainment of such.) Along with the nation's infrastructure, the military is what I fully expect my Federal taxes to fund and maintain (and not the welfare programs, burgeoning government employment/payrolls/pensions -- look at the fiscal problems of the state of California for a dire illustration of this point ---, and bureaucratic waste that sucks billions of dollars out of the pockets of the American taxpayer.)

So, what about waste in the military?

And shouldn't 'national security' extend to making sure that our domestic affairs don't implode? Or do you think abandoning millions of Americans to poverty can be dealt with by military means? Oh... I remember... we can just build more for-profit prisons to deal with that. But that means more government expenditures... hmmm... Catch 22.

And, since you didn't respond to the question I posed before, I'll ask again... What difference does it actually make if bureaucratic waste and institutional greed is in the public or private sector when it comes to essentials like healthcare, or energy, or housing, or banking? The right seems to think that when private corporations gouge the consumer, that's just fine!

What's the point of having the worlds most expensive and terrifying defenses against foreign attack while we crumble and rot from the inside out? America lags behind the rest of the modern world in every aspect other than military might (and I might add that, despite all this firepower, we've been stalemated in Afghanistan for eight years against ragtag Taliban militias.... it's turning into another Vietnam).

Education, decent infrastructure, energy independence, some sort of safety net to prevent large segments of society from descending into desperation... these are the 'soft' elements of national security that seem to bore your type. But hey, it's much more satisfying to a chest-beating war lover to blow trillions to keep foreign oil cheap than to spend that money on renewable energy. No glory in solar panels and windpower, I guess. No fat government subsidies to weapons merchants, either. Hell, can't let those guys down, can we?
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index